General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Jan-15 08:58:51
Print Post

OpenReach Modem Location.

[link to this post]

Hi

What's more important, the location of the openreach modem to the BT master socket, or the router to the modem ?

Currently I'm setup as:

BT Master ---> 10mtr underfloor non shielded CAT5 ---> openreach modem ---> 5 mtr underfloor non shielded CAT5 ---> Router

Currently the end of the 10mtr run terminates in a CAT5 socket and the open reach modem connects to that. The 5mtr run is a long CAT5 cable. This works well and I have no issues.

I'm thinking of moving it around so it will be :

BT Master with openreach modem directly connected ---> 10mtr underfloor non shielded CAT5 ---> 5 mtr underfloor non shielded CAT5 ---> Router

The 10mtr run terminates to a CAT5 socket, so I could plug the 5mtr cable into that, with the other end going to the router.

Would changing it affect anything ? for better or worse ?

Thanks

Peter
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 09:24:20
Print Post

Re: OpenReach Modem Location.

[re: MrPete] [link to this post]

Modem to socket is most important. Distance from modem to router just needs to be less than approx 90 metres as it is Ethernet. Shorter cables from modem to socket can help reduce noise pickup but it may make little difference - plug the modem into the main socket temporarily and check stats - that will give an idea of the "best" you can hope for and tell you whether changing things around would make any difference.
Standard User MrPete
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Jan-15 09:41:34
Print Post

Re: OpenReach Modem Location.

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks - that fits in with what I'm thinking.

Only reason for considering the move is decoration the house.
It would be easier to have the modem by the BT socket.
Also the power there is on it's own RCD circuit so less chance of it tripping if the main house does.

Peter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to