General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Fri 23-Jan-15 02:32:03
Print Post

Infinity 1 vs Infinity 2 Speed

[link to this post]

Please can somone confirm my thoughts?

I have Infinity 2 on FTTC, my oringinal speed for the first few months was 72Mb/18Mb, then my speed dropped and now normally sits about 48Mb/15Mb. I am paying about £26pm for my BB service.
My question is about switching to Infinity 1 Unlimited, saving about 50%pm. As my line will run at 48Mb/15Mb if I switched to Infinity 1 would I get the maximum 38Mb/9Mb or would (as I suspect) get a percentage of the maximum avaialble, say somthing like 28Mb/7Mb?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Jan-15 08:50:06
Print Post

Re: Infinity 1 vs Infinity 2 Speed

[re: SRPhoto] [link to this post]

You would get the maximum speed on Infinity 1

No use of funky ratios. It is an artificial speed cap

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Fri 23-Jan-15 08:51:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by SRPhoto:
Please can somone confirm my thoughts?

I have Infinity 2 on FTTC, my oringinal speed for the first few months was 72Mb/18Mb, then my speed dropped and now normally sits about 48Mb/15Mb. I am paying about £26pm for my BB service.
My question is about switching to Infinity 1 Unlimited, saving about 50%pm. As my line will run at 48Mb/15Mb if I switched to Infinity 1 would I get the maximum 38Mb/9Mb or would (as I suspect) get a percentage of the maximum avaialble, say somthing like 28Mb/7Mb?

You would get the maximum on the lower speed product, the physical connection runs as fast as it can while the throttling is done at the IP level.

--

Brian

Zen Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 23-Jan-15 11:02:47
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

I agree with the others on speed. But are you sure you will save 50% per month? Mostly the difference between 1 and 2 is only around £3 per month.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 11:15:38
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

According to the website the difference at list price is £7 a month (Infinity 1 is £18 with Infinity 2 at £25). There is also the Infinity 1 with 20GB allowance at £7.50 but assuming that isn't the product being discussed.

The OP may also get a special offer. BT offered me a discount on Infinity 2 last week if I signed up for an additional 12 months.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 23-Jan-15 11:30:52
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Gosh, yes, the difference has increased a lot. I should have checked before posting.

I agree the OP would get a good offer to recontract if he is getting out of contract. It's unlikely to match the discounts he could get by changing provider; loyalty bonuses are never as good (alas) as the unloyalty ones.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Fri 23-Jan-15 13:41:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for clearing that up... It was not the answer I expected.
smile
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Fri 23-Jan-15 13:50:12
Print Post

Thanks everyone.

I had a quick look and I was sure I found some offers for Infinity 1 unlimited working out at £10 plus line rental.
Currently paying....
Broadband and Calls14 Jan-13 Feb 15 £ 29.46
This is the cost of your Package at £29.46 a month, charged in advance from
14 Jan 2015 to 13 Feb 2015. This gives you:
Calling Plan Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan
Broadband BT Infinity Option 2

All my email etc. is done via my own VPS server, I like the free BT Openzone but also use Fon so I should be able to use them log in details for openzone. Basically I have no loyalty or ties to BT (Contact ended 6 months ago)

Do I just call 150 and talk to them about me paying to much for what they have on offer and looking elsewhere?
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Fri 23-Jan-15 13:53:30
Print Post

One thing to add I must keep my phone number!

(Don't mind paying BT for line and someone else for FTTC BB)
Standard User SRPhoto
(regular) Fri 23-Jan-15 13:58:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
I agree the OP would get a good offer to recontract if he is getting out of contract. It's unlikely to match the discounts he could get by changing provider; loyalty bonuses are never as good (alas) as the unloyalty ones.

You switched from Infinity 2 to Plus net 76Mb? I assume your speeds were exactly the same?
Any other problems?
Looks like Plusnet BB only is £22.49 or £17.49 for 38Mb
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to