General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Fri 23-Jan-15 15:58:09
Print Post

Noise margin goes down during the day.

[link to this post]

I've recently setup a routerstats program for the HH5 and one of the things that seem to stand out is how the noise margin seems to gradually go down during the day. Then at night goes back up again.

I think I'm right in thinking that the lower the noise margin means the lower the speeds will be?

So what kind of things can kick in during the day to be doing this?

At 4pm the downstream number is 5.2 db, and the upstream number is consistant at 6.2db.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 16:05:18
Print Post

Re: Noise margin goes down during the day.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

The noise margin will fluctuate. As long as the connection doesn't drop then it won't affect sync speeds. If it is going down to 5dB then unlikely to cause any real issues at all - if it was down to 1dB or thereabout I would start to think it might have some effect on errors and could kick in DLM. From what you have said I think what you are seeing is perfectly normal and not of concern.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Jan-15 16:54:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Except we would all expect the noise margin overall to be higher during the day than at dawn/evening/night times.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:35:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Mine is the same, 3 to 5 during the day and higher at night and my line is erroring,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:35:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

All depends on the local area, e.g. industrial/heating issues can override the atmospheric effect of the sun setting

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 23-Jan-15 23:37:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's true.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User edwincluck
(learned) Sat 24-Jan-15 19:13:19
Print Post

As RobertoS points out, another way of looking at it is the margin goes UP in the evening.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Jan-15 19:55:20
Print Post

The noise margin varying over 24 hours isn't usually anything to worry about. Big swings occurring frequently are usually best looked into.

This write-up tells you what it basically does. That was written for ADSLx but the same principles apply on FTTC.

Print Thread

Jump to