General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:24:42
Print Post

Openreach Modem / HH5 configuration question.

[link to this post]

I'm looking to add the openreach modem to my setup. But on the BT page it talks about plugging an ethernet cable in to the WAN port on the HH5.

But other people are saying in order to get stats off the modem I need to plug the modem in twice (lan1 and lan2 on the modem) to 2 ports on the HH5. So do I plug the cables in to Lan1 and Lan2 on the HH5 or does one cable need to go in the WAN port?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:34:36
Print Post

Re: Openreach Modem / HH5 configuration question.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In normal use you would connect WAN port HH5 to LAN1

When you want the stats you connect a PC to LAN2 on the Openreach modem, i.e. that is a private interface, rather than an Internet connection

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:45:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In normal use you would connect WAN port HH5 to LAN1

When you want the stats you connect a PC to LAN2 on the Openreach modem, i.e. that is a private interface, rather than an Internet connection

In most cases, and this should not be any different, LAN2 of the modem can be connected to a LAN port on the Hub which will allow access from anywhere on the local network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(member) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:50:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So when I get this setup going I need to plug;

OR Lan1 to HH5 WAN
OR Lan2 to HH5 Lan1 ?

I have my PC upstairs that I'm running a ethernet cable to.. its currently plugged in to HH5 Lan4 (I don't know why Lan4, thats what Kelly's guy plugged it in to).

I was going to plug the HH5 and OR's Lan1 and Lan2 together to get the stats.. hmm I'm guessing that wont work?

I need to figure out how to use the telneting process I think. Won't I be able to get the line stats from the HH5 still on the regular pages?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 23-Jan-15 17:56:59
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
So when I get this setup going I need to plug;

OR Lan1 to HH5 WAN
OR Lan2 to HH5 Lan1 ?
Yes that will work
I need to figure out how to use the telneting process I think. Won't I be able to get the line stats from the HH5 still on the regular pages?
The stats are captured by the modem, either the one in hub or the OR modem - not both.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to