General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 17:56:59
Print Post

Bollington (East Cheshire) Exchange Only Lines

[link to this post]

I live about 150m from my local exchange (Bollington) and noticed some work being done in the compound at the front on Friday.

This is what was being installed by the side of the exchange building.

These two cabinets have appeared. I guess the far one is the VDSL equipment cabinet.

Does this mean that we EO line folks are soon to get the benefit of FTTC?

What sort of timescale is normal from the cabinet installation (months, years)?

Will the new cabinet 10 only be used for those folks who take up FTTC with all other connections remaining EO?

Thanks,

Ian
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 25-Jan-15 18:13:45
Print Post

Re: Bollington (East Cheshire) Exchange Only Lines

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

Looks like it. The far one is a Huawei 96 FTTC cabinet. The big one is a modern PCP.

All lines in the EO area served by that cabinet to be transferred to it. Whether that's all the EO lines on the exchange can be known from the information given. There is no way Openreach would repeatedly come along and move a single line from EO to Cab 10 when FTTC is ordered, and in any case it's impossible to order it on an EO line.

I wouldn't expect it to take long to commission, with being on Openreach property. Delays are usually down to blocked ducts and running fibre supplying power to FTTC cabinets in public locations.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 19:59:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually with Virgin at the moment but it's nice to have options.

Given I have an inactive 'BT' line do you know if that will be moved to the new cab?

It's a long while since I looked at the BT cable but I'm quite sure it's aluminium rather than copper. Neighbours currently get around 16Mb/s on ADSL. What VDSL rate would be expected on aluminium?

Cheers,

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Jan-15 22:40:24
Print Post

Yes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User awontroba
(learned) Thu 29-Jan-15 01:35:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So there is hope for me getting FTTC yet, 20 miles south, still (just) in East Cheshire with a short EO line to the WMALS (Alsager) exchange (8-)

The only information I have ever been able to get out of Connecting Cheshire is that they were considering what, if anything, they were going to do about EO lines.

--
Adrian
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Thu 29-Jan-15 04:47:53
Print Post

[re: awontroba] [link to this post]

More than hope - RobertoS has said it all, you'll be off that new PCP and DSLAM sooner or later. It may still be months until you actually get your FTTC service, but if all you had was "hope" before the new cabinets physically went in to the ground, I think you can now upgrade your status to "expecting".

Both Openreach and a telco contractor (I forget the name - not Telent though, something similar) have been working really weird hours on the joint boxes next to the EO rearrangement PCPs in my town - I've seen copper cable recovery (confirmed by the workers) and fibre tubing going on at 8/9pm, neither of which ever showed up on roadworks.org. The cabinets aren't live yet and both were physically put there in mid-November.

I've got no idea whether this will apply to anywhere else or not, but a telltale sign that the PCPs aren't live yet is that they've not got numbers stencil-spraypainted on them yet - despite roadworks.org identifying them (from daytime work) as PCPs 16 and 17. They also re-sprayed the PCP ID numbers onto PCPs as their fibre twins went live (as opposed to when they were installed), around here (and I don't just mean in this one town). So an official "numbering" on the front and side might well be the last thing they do, because it's the proper way of OR letting other ISPs and/or their contractors know which cab is which, so they can turn up as and when to do their new customer connection work.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Thu 29-Jan-15 04:51:09)

Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Thu 29-Jan-15 12:16:48
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gazzyk1ns:
... They also re-sprayed the PCP ID numbers onto PCPs as their fibre twins went live (as opposed to when they were installed), around here (and I don't just mean in this one town). So an official "numbering" on the front and side might well be the last thing they do, because it's the proper way of OR letting other ISPs and/or their contractors know which cab is which, so they can turn up as and when to do their new customer connection work.

So if that's true here in Bollington it could be that my Cab 10 is live.

dslchecker does indicate cab 10 for my postcode but no availability.

Could the PCP be live but the FTTC not?

Cheers,
Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 12:24:56
Print Post

A PCP can be live for voice and it is normal for the voice to be moved over and the FTTC to only follow some time (maybe months) later

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to