General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User neckbeardo
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 18:29:01
Print Post

Booking private engineer?

[link to this post]

I signed up to Fibre Large from Talktalk, 80/20, I think. 2 days ago the engineer from Kelly came and he said that he needed to drill a hole in the wall for the cable as there was no power socket nearby the master socket for the router. My parents were a bit apprehensive about that, so we told the engineer we would think about it before continuing.

We decided that there was no other way so we called Talktalk to rebook an engineer. The appointment is in 2 weeks time. I would be OK with that, but the problem is that my old ISP has already disconnected and tethering gives me a horrible internet connection.

I was wondering if I am able to privately book an engineer to do the required work for me sooner? Or can only Talktalk send an engineer to do so?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Jan-15 19:12:00
Print Post

Re: Booking private engineer?

[re: neckbeardo] [link to this post]

The modem can be located at another location on the end of a data extension if that was booked as part of order

Others have solved issue with a mains extension temporarily and fix wiring in their own time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User neckbeardo
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 19:57:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the engineer gave the option of running the phone line or just the data extension through the wall.

I was thinking about running a mains extensions, but we thought at the time it was best to get it done properly. Had I known that I would be without wired internet and phone for two weeks, I would have used a mains extension.

My question though is regarding whether I can book a private independent telecoms engineer to have the work done for me, rather than wait for Talktalk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 25-Jan-15 20:43:24
Print Post

whether I can book a private independent telecoms engineer

No

Only openreach can work on telephone lines etc up to the master socket......a private telecom bod can work on extensions and internal wiring.

Ian
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sun 25-Jan-15 21:10:58
Print Post

A data extension, if done properly with twisted pair cable and making sure any other extensions you have are filtered at source (using a VDSL faceplate or an Openreach Interstitial plate) will perform essentially just as well as moving the master.

I'd leave the master where it is and install a data extension, using a private contractor if necessary.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Jan-15 00:16:06
Print Post

The important bit is done at the cabinet. Only Openreach engineers or sub-contractors have access. Can you imagine if all and sundry did?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to