General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ip75
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 17:32:06
Print Post

How long from work complete until cabinet available?

[link to this post]

Hi - my local cabinet has been sat waiting for power since August, but today the power was finally connected (I spoke to the guy who was powering it up). I believe that's the last piece of work required on the cabinet.

Does anyone know how long the wait will be now until it actually goes live? Tonight? Or weeks away?
Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 18:18:37
Print Post

Re: How long from work complete until cabinet available?

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

It certainly won't be tonight, there will be some testing to do. If it's OK could be a few weeks but may be months. You just have to be very patient and wait!
Standard User Irby
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Jan-15 18:38:00
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

My cabinet was installed June 2014, still not live.

Some have been waiting a lot longer than that.

Irby cabinet locations - http://tinyurl.com/irbycabinets

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ip75
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 18:48:56
Print Post

[re: Irby] [link to this post]

Thanks. The engineer I spoke to said the only thing left was for BT to commission it. Not sure exactly what that entails. The cabinet itself has been stood since July.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Jan-15 23:07:28
Print Post

Just the testing of the cab and then it will go live in a few weeks, use the bt wholesale adsl checker with either a telephone number or address if on sky/tt- it will update to say when fttc is live.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User ip75
(newbie) Sun 01-Feb-15 11:25:35
Print Post

In case this is useful info to anyone in future, this cabinet went live on Saturday. So 5 days from the power being physically connected to the service being available to order. I guess that might not be typical though.
Standard User ansam
(regular) Sun 01-Feb-15 11:49:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by ip75:
In case this is useful info to anyone in future, this cabinet went live on Saturday. So 5 days from the power being physically connected to the service being available to order. I guess that might not be typical though.

Hello

Yes that was about the same time for my cabinet, was about 7 days.

Thanks
Sam
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Sun 01-Feb-15 13:37:51
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

That is useful to know, we are getting the cabinet installed here towards the end of this month, my fear is that because it is in a rural area I can't see an easy way they would get power to it, there don't seem to be any power lines nearby, really hope it is not sitting here for months waiting for power to be connected as my ADSL connection is shocking now, I'm on the 'max premium' service but get about 1Mbit at peak times now (sync at the full 8128Kbps).
Standard User ip75
(newbie) Sun 01-Feb-15 14:38:27
Print Post

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

The power problems with my cabinet were caused by the fact that the original power source they attempted to connect it to was actually dead, so they had to go back to the drawing board which presumably pushed it back down the queue a bit. If they're installing your cabinet this month they'll have done a survey and know where they're intending to get the power from - I think there is only likely to be a wait of months if something goes wrong.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Mon 02-Feb-15 06:49:02
Print Post

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

Even if there aren't any lamp posts visible within the area, it's unlikely they would jave just plonked a cabinet down without thinking about tapping into a LV power line in the ground somewhere very close by.
  Print Thread

Jump to