General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:16:13
Print Post

BTW test?

[link to this post]

My (plusnet) fibre contract allows me <40mbps.

A btwholsale speed test this eve reveals:
DL: 38.09 against line max envisaged as 57.98
UL: 14.94 against 20.00
Lat: 19.5

Seems OK to me, but why does BTW show DL in red (previously green) and say it's unacceptable?
Then directs me to test under TAP:3 - whatever that may be? Retesting gives same result.

TBB and Ookla speedtests run OK, giving similar results, which TBB says are above average for my area. IP address has not changed since last test.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:35:17
Print Post

Re: BTW test?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Note when we say above average for area that is a whole UK region not you specific postcode

btw is confused because you have a faster product but the plusnet cap is the liting factor. Btwholesale dont know about that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:42:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew!

But I've had fibre since November with, usually, similar readings.

Why has BTW suddenly become concerned about this?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 22:28:35
Print Post

Maybe changed their code without realising the way plusnet runs its lines

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Terranova
(member) Thu 29-Jan-15 22:35:31
Print Post

it may well be the BTW database and estimates for your line have been updated / adjusted and such the BTW test now sees your line is capable of much more than it's doing.

your on the 40Mb product which is nothing more than a profile cap at plusnets end, the BTW test doesn't see the cap it goes by what the BTW side of things can do and such thinks that you have fault.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Jan-15 00:20:41
Print Post

If you joined recently you will be on the 76/19.5Mbps product speed capped to 40Mbps by Plusnet. Your sync looks to be around 60Mbps, so it thinks you are underperforming.

If you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test and go to Further diagnostics from the initial results page, what is your downstream IP Profile?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Jan-15 08:15:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

They have raised the minimum throughput to 40Mb for lines like the OP's and 60Mb for lines synching at full rate it seems.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:38:52
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

They have raised the minimum throughput to 40Mb for lines like the OP's and 60Mb for lines synching at full rate it seems.

do you think BTw are been generous with that?

(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 13:39:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto

At 1pm this avvo, BTW further diagnostic results were:
DL 38.5 (red again) against max achievable speed of 57.98
UL 12.53 against max achievable speed of 20

Then there's the weird legend advising:
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. They might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests, please click on 'Continue' button. If not please close the window using the 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

I haven't pursued the further TAP:3 tests and don't propose to occupy those busy guys at Sheffield with what I regard as a non-problem.

Just intrigued.
  Print Thread

Jump to