General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:43:27
Print Post

Silverstone cabinet 4 location info

[link to this post]

Hi all,

We're planning to move to Silverstone village and I've identified the cabinet the new house is connected to as cabinet 4. If anyone has information on it's location, could you please advise me on where it is?
From the council website, it looks as though I have a year's wait at least to being fibre enabled.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

ISP: Xilo
Service: Talk & Surf 100
Exchange: SMYG
Cabinet: 4
MSAN: Broadcom
Modem/ router: Billion BiPac 7800N
Attenuation:39.5dB
Target SNRM: 3.3dB or 52% of ISP
Current sync: 9755kbps
FTTC cab in place but not enabled..... yet!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:58:39
Print Post

Re: Silverstone cabinet 4 location info

[re: youngsyp] [link to this post]

Believe you can see the green cab in this Google Map image. It is hidden in the hedge between two properties.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.085791,-1.025733,3...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:15:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Excellent, thank you for the confirmation. I can foresee issues with OR getting permission to put a fibre cabinet near that one.

It appears cabs 1, 3 and 7 are already fibre enabled. Just my luck to move from an area that is a month or so away from getting fibre to an area that is a year or so away from getting it. Still, at least the ADSL rates should be considerably higher.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:28:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by youngsyp:
I can foresee issues with OR getting permission to put a fibre cabinet near that one.

They do not need permission to install the FTTC cabinet - yet. Silverstone village is not a conservation area although there are consultations under way. http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/688 That might explain why some have been done already and others not ...

However, looking at the Google maps image would suggest a second cabinet in a similar position would be quite well disguised or hidden and way less visually obtrusive than the shared use pole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:48:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I was thinking more of the owners of the house(s) giving permission. However, from your comments it seems the verge the current cab is sited on is outside the home owner(s) boundary. One less hurdle!
Taking a quick glance at the link you provided (thanks) shows the place we have had an offer accepted on is outside the proposed conservation area, as is the road the current cabinet is situated on. So hopefully it's just a case of waiting now.

The current cab looks to be circa 500m away from the property so if they don't do anything radical with the fibre twin's placement, the fibre rates achieved should be on the higher side of what's available.

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:51:14
Print Post

People may mow the verge but very often they are council owned, and code powers means Openreach can almost just rock up and get on with it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Jan-15 12:07:36
Print Post

The boundary line appears to be reasonable obvious and OR will only really need to consider routing for power and the tie cable. They normally try to make them unobtrusive ...

At 500m you should be fine and into the 60s - mine is 440-450m of actual cable and seeing speeds at 72Mbps peaking at 74 occasionally with full 20Mbps upstream available.

M H C

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 12:15:22
Print Post

Good to know and thanks again for the advice.

I'm attempting to narrow down the expected ADSL rates but unfortunately the current owner is ex directory so I'm unable to find their phone number the sneaky way. May have to ask the question directly. A number for a property at the end of the road, that should be further from the exchange, reports a range of rates of 8 to 18.5Mb/s. I currently manage around 9.7Mb/s on a tweaked LLU line so I should see a healthy improvement anyway... hopefully.

Paul

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Jan-15 12:33:13
Print Post

The TBB Speed Test results map is fairly sparse for that area too.

You can use the Address checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address not as perfect as an existing phone number, however with the house number and postcode you should get a reasonable idea.

M H C

Standard User youngsyp
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 12:42:28
Print Post

Yep, done that thanks. It's coming back with a range of 6.5 to 14Mb/s. So slightly lower than the number further away from the exchange but, still a substantial improvement on what I see today.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to