General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hopeless
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 23:20:03
Print Post

To use the Openreach modem or not

[link to this post]

Hello,

I had my installation for FTTC this week and the engineer used a ECI modem that he put on the wall. I asked for a Huawei but he didn't have any in the van. My cabinet is a Huawei 96 - http://imgur.com/6TOHIUC so have ordered a HG612 just in case my line decides to become unstable and to have a spare.

I was using the Openreach modem which connected to my Billion 8800NL but now using just the Billion as a modem and router.

I should receive the HG612 tomorrow and was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages for using the Openreach modem and a router or just use the Billion? Is one setup preferable to the other?

And if I wanted to replace the ECI with the Huawei, how do remove it from the wall, does the cover come off?

Thanks

Edited by hopeless (Fri 30-Jan-15 23:21:27)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-Jan-15 00:06:31
Print Post

Re: To use the Openreach modem or not

[re: hopeless] [link to this post]

Why do you want to replace the ECI with a Huawei?

Both perform the same function and can give similar results on a line. There is no specific advantage of one over the other except having line stats easily available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Jan-15 07:49:47
Print Post

To remove from wall disconnect cables and slide up. It hangs on two screws

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hopeless
(member) Sat 31-Jan-15 10:27:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron,

I was trying to remove it the other day and it seemed wedged on but gave it a little more effort and it slid straight off smile

MHC - My LAN driver in my PC is Broadcom, so is the chipset in my router and heard the Huawei DSLAM is Broadcom too, so wanted to keep the whole thing the same. Probably just my OCD kicking in.

Are there any benefits for using the Openreach modem though or is it better to bypass it with my own modem/router?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 31-Jan-15 11:07:52
Print Post

You will probably find the Huawei performs the same as the Billion as they both have a Broadcom chipset

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User hopeless
(member) Sat 31-Jan-15 12:04:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

ok thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-Jan-15 12:37:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by hopeless:
MHC - My LAN driver in my PC is Broadcom, so is the chipset in my router and heard the Huawei DSLAM is Broadcom too, so wanted to keep the whole thing the same. Probably just my OCD kicking in.

It certainly is. Very early on in the days of ADSL it was useful however everything has moved on. With VDSL BT supplied a modem to match the DSLAM manufacturer for a few months in case of teething problems however that changed fairly quickly and there was no link between them.

I personally get a better/faster connection with an ECI modem with a Huawei cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User hopeless
(member) Sat 31-Jan-15 13:52:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

ah okay, thanks for the advice.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 31-Jan-15 14:59:38
Print Post

My experience with the Billion 8800NL is that it syncs slightly higher than the HG612. In my case 55 Mbps compared to 51 Mbps with the Huawei.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 31-Jan-15 18:03:31
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Isn't the LAN port on the OR modem designated as the end of the BT network?

So if you have poroblems then it's down to them rather than you which I would have throught was far preferable?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to