General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Supersculler
(newbie) Sat 31-Jan-15 19:34:42
Print Post

Will my broadband speed change if i decrease my broadband sp

[link to this post]

I know the question sounds stupid but i am on bt's 76mb package and when i download a film it downloads at about 10mb/s.

So what i want to know is if i swap to bt's 36mb or 17mb option will the speed at which i can download a film decrease as 10mb/s is still nowhere near the 38mb or 17mb limit? So in theory i should still be able to have the same download speed.

Edited by Supersculler (Sat 31-Jan-15 19:36:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Jan-15 19:56:46
Print Post

Re: Will my broadband speed change if i decrease my broadban

[re: Supersculler] [link to this post]

If the 10 Mbps means 10 Mega bits per second then not going to be slower if drop to Inifinity 1 from Infinity 2, if drop to the Adsl2+ up to 17 Mbps package then this might not be the case, because your adsl2+ speed may be below 10 Mbps.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Jan-15 20:07:43
Print Post

Not really your fault, but I'm afraid that's a very confusing post. Upper case and lower case M/m and B/b matter in this case.

FTTC connection speed are in Mbps, Megabits per second.

Download speeds are normally given in MBps, MegaBytes per second.

There are 8 bits to a byte.

The confusion I have is that 10Mbps if it really is that is only 1.25MBps, which is pretty poor for FTTC. If it is 10MBps then it's impossibly fast.

What would let us advise you would be if you run the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignore all the red instructions for now, just clicked you have done them), then when you get to the results page go to the bottom of the page and click the Further Diagnostics. Give it your phone number when asked.

We don't need the graphs on the result of that, but please could you copy and paste the full contents of the two text boxes of down/up results smile. Those tell us a lot about your connection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Supersculler
(newbie) Sat 31-Jan-15 20:34:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for the confusion. If I download a 1 gigabyte file it takes about 100 seconds so it is 10 megabytes a second download speed.

I dont always get speeds that fast, only at certain times i just picked that because its a nice round number.

Are the Bt packages in megabytes or megabits?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 31-Jan-15 20:55:57
Print Post

In which case dropping to the Inifinity 1 will double download time and if the adsl2+ Service was to connect at 17 Mbps it would be about four times slower

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 31-Jan-15 21:29:36
Print Post

smile
That's great.

The 76 an 38 are megabits per second.

MrSaffron has been able to answer the question given your answer, so I can't add a lot.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to