General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mygri
(regular) Sun 01-Feb-15 21:45:08
Print Post

Fibre in, but...

[link to this post]

Once again I'm calling on your collective experience, so here goes...

After several months of campaigning, wrong turns, and seemingly interminable deadlines, FTTP fibre was finally run into our block of (4) flats yesterday (Saturday). Hooray!, except, in the cold light of day, it is apparent that they have done what I consider to be a rather slapdash job that has made me reassess the viability of ever getting hooked up. They've certainly left it in state they requires time and money to put right, let alone any other considerations. Photos of the installation are on this link - http://bit.ly/1zrBAlR In case you haven't guessed it the contractors were Kelly.

The obvious nature of the ducting and the CSP are quite inappropriate for a domestic environment, and my initial elation at actually getting this far has turned into acute disappointment, not all diminished by my wife being pretty upset at the appearance of the thing. They're certainly not in line with the OR man here is saying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_gUBw8gh90 - go to about 4 min 50 sec; and that's before we've even got to further fibre runs, ONTs, modems, etc. I'd particularly appreciate any comments from the OR professionals amongst you.

I took a look at this topic, http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4213383-hom... and one of the links therein, www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/network/developingournetwork/documentationandinformation/buildersguide/downloads/developers_guide.pdf (section 3) and as a result I do not now see how the additional hardware, fibre and Cat 5e runs onwards to the existing network patch panel can be achieved without major disruption and being visually obvious; (see domestic harmony above). There is no question that had FTTC been available it would have been an absolute no-brainer. What an irony!

I was originally under the impression that that once the fibre was run in, there would be a small entry box and then a run of cable that could fairly easily laid in, much like telephone extension cable. I hadn't realised that the limitations on fibre runs in particular appear to be quite restrictive - bend radius, straight runs between bends, etc. I feel that a survey of the whole installation is needed before there is any question of proceeding further, and 1 would welcome any further thoughts on whether more domestically acceptable solutions might be possible.

I think I need some serious counselling here wink

The location is Newlyn, Cornwall
Standard User flipdee
(member) Sun 01-Feb-15 21:53:46
Print Post

Re: Fibre in, but...

[re: Mygri] [link to this post]

Is this in the same category as a "standard" sky installation, i.e aesthetically a bit rough due to time/cost restrictions on the engineers?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Feb-15 21:56:25
Print Post

Does not fit the usual pattern of terminate fibre externally and then another length to the ONT.

Have you contacted your provider to lodge complaint. Usual form is to confirm stuff with property owner.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mygri
(regular) Sun 01-Feb-15 21:59:17
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

Hi flipdee,

I've no experience of Sky so I can't really comment, but Mr Murdoch does seem to have a lot of customers, and some of them keep paying substantial sums of money every month - baffled...
Standard User Mygri
(regular) Sun 01-Feb-15 22:04:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

This has been done as part of OR's fibre rollout, and is a precursor to enabling us to sign up to a provider. That can't happen until the fibre availability appears on the BT Checker...

However, I am going to register my displeasure with Superfast Cornwall in the morning. I was after some informed opinions to strengthen my case.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Feb-15 22:27:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wonder if the fact this is the front door of a 4-flat MDU plays a part here.

Presumably there is fibre for all 4 flats coming through that door, and it is pre-order work going on here - the OP hasn't managed to order yet.
Standard User Mygri
(regular) Sun 01-Feb-15 22:35:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I wonder if the fact this is the front door of a 4-flat MDU plays a part here.
MDU? got it - multiple dwelling unit
Presumably there is fibre for all 4 flats coming through that door, and it is pre-order work going on here - the OP hasn't managed to order yet.
Correct smile

Edited by Mygri (Sun 01-Feb-15 22:37:38)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Feb-15 22:58:19
Print Post

Sorry. Telecoms is full of TLAs wink

That installation isn't close to the kind of work I'd think would be needed in the common areas of a block. Few people care enough, so these areas take more of a hammering, with less TLC, and open access to people who don't recognise the fragility. I'd expect something sturdier, with all fibre hidden in ducting or channels.

This, combined with your mention of domestic harmony, reminds me of what some people say is an advantage of G.fast in the final drop - there is no digging or drilling to retrofit unsightly fibre.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Feb-15 14:12:25
Print Post

I'd have to agree, in some part at least, the unsealed hole through the door frame, the chuck marks all over the placed, all completely unacceptable.

As mentioned later, this an MDU. I haven't actually worked in anger on one of these, but my understanding is that they would normally be housed in a 'utility cupboard' for the the flats .... I'm guessing this isn't an option from what I can see in the photo's.

Bearing in mind it is supposed to feed all 4 flats, that would seem to be a reasonably central location, it can't be tucked up high for the impracticality of making a splice in there. Down low, and it's likely to be kicked and clobbered.
Could you maybe fit some kind of box type cover over it ?

I'm guessing the property is old, so maybe no handy voids in walls to hide stuff in .........

What I'm trying to say is, it ain't pretty, but it is practical. Your only cause for complaint is the shoddy installation, the chuck marks, etc.

Standard User Mygri
(regular) Mon 02-Feb-15 14:51:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hi Zarjaz, thanks for your comments.

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I'd have to agree, in some part at least, the unsealed hole through the door frame, the chuck marks all over the placed, all completely unacceptable.

To which I would add that the unsupported external run from the duct outlet to the first clip is on the door open (outwards) side, which unlike the hinge side puts the fibre tube in quite a vulnerable, easily damaged, situation...
As mentioned later, this an MDU. I haven't actually worked in anger on one of these, but my understanding is that they would normally be housed in a 'utility cupboard' for the the flats .... I'm guessing this isn't an option from what I can see in the photo's.

Indeed, and does reinforce my view that the desirability of some sort of utility cupboard, whatever, should have been raised, as actually there is very limited space available for such. Even at that point, I think it would have drawn attention to the overall difficulties that have only now become apparent.
Bearing in mind it is supposed to feed all 4 flats, that would seem to be a reasonably central location, it can't be tucked up high for the impracticality of making a splice in there. Down low, and it's likely to be kicked and clobbered.

Central yes, but actually access to the two upper flats looks challenging to say the least, and to the two ground floor flats near impossible...
Could you maybe fit some kind of box type cover over it ?
see above.
I'm guessing the property is old, so maybe no handy voids in walls to hide stuff in .........

What I'm trying to say is, it ain't pretty, but it is practical. Your only cause for complaint is the shoddy installation, the chuck marks, etc.

Granite walls, and as for voids... (hollow laugh... geddit? smile)

Not pretty indeed, and practical? I strongly suspect that the CSP is going to sit there unused, and if that's the outcome, what a waste of effort all round. And anyway (of course), who picks up the time and expense forfits for at least covering things up?

Sorry if that sounds dismissive, I assure you that's not my meaning; I really appreciate your insights. I'm just very disappointed at the way this seems to be heading.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to