General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Mon 02-Feb-15 12:44:03
Print Post

DLMed back to the Stone Age

[link to this post]

Agh! I'm posting this to help comfort others who might suffer from the same problem, and to help me vent my frustration.

My line usually syncs at 80/20 with no interleaving and I typically get top-notch download and upload speeds from real-world and speedtest results.

But after installing some buggy firmware on my router (with integrated VDSL modem), resulting in lots of reboots, I've been what I describe as "DLMed back to the Stone Age".

Well, it isn't quite that bad, but it is still horrible.

I'm now syncing at between 60 and 70Mbit/sec down, with a current IP Profile of 68.xMbit/sec but with Interleaving on frown

And Upstream is completely borked - 4Mbit/sec max, interleaved of course.

Ping times have jumped from 20-ish to 49ms.

It is an absolute nightmare. I've switched to the OR modem as I'm still struggling with firmware issues on the router, but it hasn't made any difference. DLM in action I guess.

I can't give actual stats with the locked OR modem . but you get the general picture of my woes I'm sure.

Anyway, here's hoping things will return to normal.

It is the not knowing that's the killer.

Could some nasty noise source have introduced itself at exactly the same time as I happened to be updating the firmware and rebooting? Am I stuck at these "Stone Age" speeds for the rest of eternity (or 2025 when we might get FTTP hehe)? If I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel it wouldn't be so bad. But as it is I'm in limbo until ... well, whenever DLM decides to be nice to me again.

Copper-based xDSL is great -even miraculous- when it works, but when things go wrong it can be a nightmare.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 12:59:21
Print Post

Re: DLMed back to the Stone Age

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

Its the "resulting in lots of reboots" that has caused this.
I say just wait it out on the OR Modem and don't do any more reboots.

I have seen in other posts that it can normally resolve it self in a week or so.

Paul
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 13:03:58
Print Post

An Asus router/modem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 13:08:31
Print Post

I had a similar problem with the HH5 after the new firmware came in. One day it started rebooting/de-sync lots of times from the middle of the night until about 1pm the next day. This dropped my speeds down too.

I switched to an unlocked OR modem and DLM is slowly bringing it under control. I was told it'll take 4 to 14 days (by some forum experts), and sure enough on day 4 DLM kicked in and started up'ing my speeds again.

So give it at least 4 days before you do anything more changes and see how it goes.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User sfo32
(learned) Wed 04-Feb-15 15:57:04
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

[I wish I could reply to the thread as a whole rather than to just an individual post]

It was a Draytek 2860n Plus. Firmware 3.7.8 seems to be problematic to some people in various way. I seem to have had it quite badly. I've learned my lesson now -- I'm sticking to using the OR modem until I'm happy with the firmware, so I can reboot as often as I like.

I do have some good news though! During testing, a suspected copper line fault was found, and it was decided to task an engineer to investigate (no access to the premises was required). This was yesterday.

Then, this morning, two engineers turned up out of the blue and spent two hours poking, prodding and testing (with a bit of time at the cabinet as well).

They were quite puzzled by it all - they could find nothing wrong with the line at all. But they seemed absolutely intent on resolving the issue no matter what, and before they left they had swapped my pairs, changed the faceplate (Mark III), provided a new OR modem (ECI rather than Hwawei) and most important of all they arranged for a DLM reset. I felt like I was being treated like Royalty. I was very, very impressed with them.

And now I'm back to 80/20 - yay! (max attainable was 107 according to one test they did, which I think is impressive at 250m - roll on vectoring!). Based on the 22ms base ping times, I am assuming I'm not interleaved but I don't know for sure.

However, I'm still seeing some insane latency on the BQM.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/15174cbbb83...

The part before the red was before they arrived. The part after the red is after they left.

I'm not worried about it right now - actual speed tests are perfect, VoiP is perfect, and real-life downloads are perfect. I suspect it may have something to do with the router, or possibly we may need to tweak the line a bit. At any rate I'm not going to worry about it for another 4 days or so in case it settles down. Does that seem like a sensible thing to do, or does that chart indicate something specific?

And thanks for everybody's input on this -- much appreciated.
  Print Thread

Jump to