General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Herstmonceux
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 17:45:52
Print Post

Roadworks for DSLAM installation?

[link to this post]

I have noticed that BT are installing a new cabinet in the centre of my village, according to roadworks.org it is:

HERSTMONCEUX 2 285906BDUK01IBJFJ6LG10 DAY POWER AND DSLAM:STREET CABINET& POWER INSTALLATION. Excava...

Would this be simply extending existing ADSL2+ capacity or the start of the FTTC roll out, we are due to be upgraded at some point in 2015.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 02-Feb-15 17:55:59
Print Post

Re: Roadworks for DSLAM installation?

[re: Herstmonceux] [link to this post]

POWER AND DSLAM - gives it away. ADSL services do not use a cabinet based DSLAM whereas VDSL services do. So, yes, it is probably the start of FTTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 20:30:30
Print Post

In short, yes. Quite how long it will be to becoming available varies according to all the other jobs that have to be done and it there are issues like blocked ducts. If all goes well, inside two months. Maybe better, but no guarantee.

Edited by TheEulerID (Mon 02-Feb-15 20:31:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 21:04:50
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Thanks very much, I've just checked Roadworks.org looking forward for the next 12 months and there's work due 6-12th Feb which is described as

HERSTMONCEUX - PCP5 - 285804 - BDUK - STREET CABINET& POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay approx 4m...

According to BT wholesale availability checker I am connected to cabinet 5, the roadworks referred to above seem to be scheduled for the location where I believe my cabinet to be and since it says PCP5 I am hoping that it means that my cabinet will be upgraded on that date. The reference to BDUK which is missing from the other notification perhaps implies that my cabinet is subsidised whereas the main one in the centre of the village is not?

Anyway, it looks like I should be able to get FTTC in the first half of 2015 rather than the last half, better than I hoped! According to google maps my cabinet is approx 0.3 miles following the pretty direct road route to the cabinet, which seems to be the way the phone lines run. Hopefully that indicates that I should get a speed hopefully in excess of 30MB, I get approx 14MB on my current ADSL2+ connection.

Happy Days!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 02-Feb-15 21:13:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Herstmonceux:
... According to google maps my cabinet is approx 0.3 miles following the pretty direct road route to the cabinet, which seems to be the way the phone lines run. Hopefully that indicates that I should get a speed hopefully in excess of 30MB, I get approx 14MB on my current ADSL2+ connection.

Happy Days!

30MB - no chance. 30Mbps probably, and potentially 40Mbps if it is .3 mile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 21:19:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Sorry I mixed up my bits and bytes, classic n00b error!
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 21:20:02
Print Post

It's extremely unlikely one cabinet in Herstmonceux is BDUK supported and the other is commercial. The goesussex web site isn't much use on timescales, although it does say everything it running ahead of schedule.

As far as your like length is concerned, if it's really 5-600m and it's in good condition it might be good for 60mbps or so. Although the cable routing matters (and domestic wiring of course).
Standard User adminkatana
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 22:12:52
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

I am on the Herstmonceux Exchange as well which has just changed to 'Accepting Orders' on the Openreach checker.

However, my cabinet is located about 1.8km away... Cabinet 4 apparently. I have ordered the BT 'Faster Broadband' but it is unfortunate that another cabinet is not in my village to serve the 50/60 houses that are between 1.5 and 2.5km away from our cabinet enabling us to get Infinity.

Do Openreach ever install a new PCP/ Fibre cabinet to better reach new areas? who is the best person to contact to ask/ suggest about this being done?

Appreciate your help. smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Mar-15 22:15:35
Print Post

[re: adminkatana] [link to this post]

It can happen but costs rise and thus not likely to be part of the first phase project unless there is lots of spare cash. Time to chase council project

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adminkatana
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 22:20:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, I suspected that might be the case.

Well. I guess going from a current 2Mbps to a BT sales person claimed 15-18Mbps for the 'faster broadband' is much much better than no upgrade at all!

Is it just due to the fact that the old PCP placements didn't really take account for distance to households? The new Fibre box next to cabinet 4 seems very close to the other cabinets?

I'll send a letter off to the council/ goesussex websites anyway. Thanks for your advice.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to