General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dustmaker
(newbie) Mon 02-Feb-15 19:39:21
Print Post

New Infinity Install

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just moved across to BT infinity 2 from Virgin media which was massively overutilised in my area (3mbit real world speeds out of the 120mbit during evenings and weekends). I didn't have a phone line so a phone engineer came today to install the master socket/faceplate. However it appears that even Infinity 2 is now a self install because I was told the broadband engineer would not need to attend the property.

I was quoted 69-79mbit by the estimator, and I was hoping it would be closer to the upper band given that it is a brand new line install with no extensions, and the cabinet is at the end of the next road across, c. 350m away as the crow flies. However initial sync was at 68.8mbit - is this likely to increase at all over time? Is there anything in my stats which suggests any issue, or is it just length of the line/general noise? I see current sync speed is actually higher than the detected max sync speed under line 7 below. In case it helps, my postcode is SE9 1SA.

I was given the HH5 (which I'm currently using) and no pleading with the Indian support or the phone engineer would let me swap it for a standalone openreach modem so that I can continue to use my existing Cisco E4200. I've got a a revision 3B Huawei hg612 on its way from ebay - will this sync any faster?

Any thoughts on the below much appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

2. Serial number: +068543+NQ43929496
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 03:35:42
6. Data rate: 19999 / 68818
7. Maximum data rate: 22395 / 68188
8. Noise margin: 6.9 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 11.8
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 11.8
11. Data sent/received: 70.3 MB / 169.7 MB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Feb-15 19:49:27
Print Post

Re: New Infinity Install

[re: dustmaker] [link to this post]

Vdsl2 starts at fastest speed and gets slower if errors seen

350m straight line might be 500m by road and 600m of cable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Feb-15 19:49:38
Print Post

Yes it should, especially if your HG612 is unlocked so you can turn off BTAgent and QOS wink

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 02-Feb-15 19:52:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The attenuation indicates the line is capable of full sync on the face of it, however as it is some sort of composite figure an unlocked modem may reveal further detail.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 02-Feb-15 20:27:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm inclinde to agree the downstream sync is a little low for the reported attenuation, I see upstream is full speed. The I get 59mbps at 20.8db and my line (according to the engineer's measurements) was around the 650m mark. This line (assuming similar gauge wire) must be more like 400m, which fits with the OP's post.

So, in short, I'd expect a bit better. Maybe there's a lot of x-talk in that area, or it's an "impacted" line. It's the sort of line that ought to benefit from vectoring when it rolls out.
Standard User dustmaker
(newbie) Mon 02-Feb-15 20:55:30
Print Post

Thanks for the responses everyone; I'll post back results with the hg612 when it arrives. Fingers crossed for vectoring being enabled in the not too distant future!
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Feb-15 12:39:44
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

My thinking was crosstalk too. I get full speed at 17db attenuation, with SNRM to spare, but I must have been the first connected to the cabinet.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
  Print Thread

Jump to