General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paulak412
(newbie) Tue 03-Feb-15 15:59:26
Print Post

software/hardware issue?

[link to this post]

Hello

My laptop (1 year old, no ehternet connection) is getting really slow speeds from my fibre optiv broadband compare to the bt engineer that visited and my nephews. There is nothing wrong with my line, hub or signal, the fault is wither software or hardware on my laptop. i ran antivrus and spyware, as well as clearing cookies, cache etc. no change. Does anyone know whats wrong?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Feb-15 16:04:25
Print Post

Re: software/hardware issue?

[re: paulak412] [link to this post]

Just to make sure, can you disable the wireless to your laptop and run a test hardwired through an ethernet cable ?

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 16:11:16
Print Post

[re: paulak412] [link to this post]

Have you checked the laptops wireless connection speed that it's connecting to the modem/router?
Your laptop may have a cheap wireless device compared to the BTOR Engineer.

Also the location of the laptop will affect its wireless connection speeds as well due to objects like walls etc in between the two.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 03-Feb-15 16:47:11
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

You could install Acrylic Wifi Free (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/) and check out the strength of the signal, and that there are not other interfering wifi routers. Many routers work better set to a specific wifi channel rather than left to automatically find one.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:23:03
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
You could install Acrylic Wifi Free (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/) and check out the strength of the signal, and that there are not other interfering wifi routers. Many routers work better set to a specific wifi channel rather than left to automatically find one.
Just took a look at that site and the screen shots seem to show a lot of information so I may buy a USB Wifi Dongle (no more free slots on pc) to check smile
So not sure which ones are good, I won't be using it for broadband, just to be used with that app.

I last used my other modem/router (FRITZ!Box 3390) to see what channels near me was being used and chose one for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands on my HH4.
Yep using my HH4 instead of my FRITZ!Box due to issues on line, waiting for it to become stable before I switch back over.

Paul
(experienced) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:34:29
Print Post

You shouldn't need any extra hardware to use Acrylic Wifi. Unless I have misread things you do not have an ethernet socket but are connecting via wireless already.

The app will be most useful if you use it with your standard laptop wifi. For example, some laptop wifi ariels are rather too direction dependent, and the app could show you the best orientation.

--
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:44:48
Print Post

I think you are replying to the wrong person tongue

I am not the OP.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 03-Feb-15 17:45:36)

(experienced) Tue 03-Feb-15 18:01:01
Print Post

Whoops, sorry Paul. Anyway, I hope Acrylic turns out useful all the same ....
There is also similar software inSSIDer, but it is more difficult to find the free version of that now; probably several others too?

--
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 18:35:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Whoops, sorry Paul. Anyway, I hope Acrylic turns out useful all the same ....
There is also similar software inSSIDer, but it is more difficult to find the free version of that now; probably several others too?

Heh, no probs, I was like huh works without a wireless device and scratching my head, then realised you replied to the wrong person tongue

So do you know of any good multi-band USB Wireless devices that would work with that software? would be nice to see all the information of used channels and allow me to change channels when I see some get close to ours.

I can see loads on Amazon some look rather cheap.

Paul
(experienced) Tue 03-Feb-15 19:04:58
Print Post

I think any that work at all will work with that software.
I can't give any precise advice on which dongle to buy. When I've bought cheaper things like that I generally find they work OK but probably not as well as the best ones (which aren't necessarily the most expensive). I'd go by the Amazon reviews.

--
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to