General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User marcusjclifford
(committed) Tue 03-Feb-15 16:40:09
Print Post

So what is going to happen for Exchange Only (EO) lines?

[link to this post]

Typically, in the more rural towns and villages many homes are directly connected to the exchange (Exchange Only / EO) lines.

In rural settings it is understandable as given the sparse population density it would make more economic sense to deploy the standard telephone system that way when there was no advantages or disadvantages to being that way.

Now however with FTTC there is a huge disadvantage to being on EO lines.

What are the current Openreach, or indeed industry, plans for providing "Super Fast" or such to EO lines.

I would estimate probably 50% of phonelines on small rural exchanges (sub 1000 lines) are EO lines.

I know my preference would be simply to replace the copper with fibre and provide FTTH, but I doubt that is practical from a BT cost point of view. FTTRN sounds good, but again given the low population density is that practical.

Rural properties are often affluent, but even for residents willing to pay a premium many are still stuck on ADSL Max up to 8 Mbps, and often only receive a fraction of this.

Aquiss Home 30
On Exchange ESSTC - via edinbugh-ipsc
Speedtouch 585v6 on BT Filtered Faceplate
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Feb-15 16:41:48
Print Post

Re: So what is going to happen for Exchange Only (EO) lines?

[re: marcusjclifford] [link to this post]

A number of areas have had this "fixed" by putting a cab just outside the exchange and running the VDSL equipment in that to provide FTTC. This doesn't help though if you are on a long EO line - in that case it would need network reorganisation.
Standard User partial
(committed) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:13:12
Print Post

There are a lot of contract firms looking for Eside Jointers at the moment. So I presume they will be doing a lot of this in the next wave of deployment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ip75
(newbie) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:18:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Also, the new cabinet doesn't necessarily have to be outside the exchange. It could be at some point further into the network where a bundle of EO lines meet. This has happened in our area.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Feb-15 12:04:51
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

Yes, true. Depends very much on where the cabling goes and how quickly it split into bundles too small to both with a cab.
Standard User gregormac
(learned) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:08:05
Print Post

Hi, Im on ESGAG - sounds like we are in the same boat as you- 400 lines in the village all EO. A new PCP will be installed
We were originally planned for FTTP but I believe Digital Scotland have put the kibosh on that with BT as we now show FTTC only
Openreach so far have had 2 attempts at positioning a new PCP for us, 1st was blocking a driveway! 2nd was in the grounds of the exchange, but BT Group then said nope to that! so now in limbo as they try to work out where to put a Cab. They are doing it , just frustratingly slowly

Of more concern is that Openreach are only putting in a Cab to handle 80 lines in a village with over 400 lines, all desperate for superfast, with no commitment to put additional Cabs in.

8Mb ADSL Max
waiting for 80/20
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:23:23
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

Well I did a quick search which may either be wrong or out of date.
Exchange Name: Gargunnock
Exchange Code: ESGAG
Phase: BDUK Scot Government 12b

[Cabinet 1]
FTTC Available.

[Cabinet 2]
FTTC Planned (exchange ready 11th February 2014) Phase BDUK Scot Government 12b
There was a few EO Blocks that had postcodes on Cabinet 1 and also Cabinet 2.

Not too sure if that helps.

Also best wait for other with better info to reply.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to