General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:08:50
Print Post

Question about the Commercial Rollout...

[link to this post]

Hey All

Sorry if it seems that I keep going on about it, but I just have a few quick questions about the Commercial Fibre rollout...

Everyone I talk to BT on the phone or BTOR Engineers that I see working in our pit or up our pole all say the Commercial Rollout has been and gone and even they say we have it pointing to the pit and bottle on pole (and this is BTOR and not one of their sub contractors), but this cannot be due to we are part of it.

If I go by what has been said on here about my fibre install which was halted back in 2011 (part of Phase 05b) in mid install, this may of been down to BTOR concentrating on the BDUK Contracts first, I understand that, but will they come back to finish off the remaining Commercial installs that got halted ?

The waiting is getting longer and longer due to BT keeps getting more and more BDUK contracts.

I am hoping that they do come back to complete what they started back in 2011 due to we are not in an area for BDUK funding and never will due to being part of Greater London which is "covered by extensive commercial deployments" according to the following document: shared spreadsheet (Google Doc), which is also linked to from www.gov.uk Site here: state-aid-advice under section Local broadband projects.

I just thought it was strange that half our road got FTTP and we didn't, I would of thought it would of made more sense to finish of the road before putting the commercial rollout on hold to complete the BDUK installs.

There was also a mention on here about possible planning permission due to being in a conservation area, and we cannot have a green cabinet just popping up like that, but see that is where I am confused, we are down for FTTP like the other half of our road so no FTTC cabinet to be installed, so it should be just the matter of installing the fibre tubing and blowing the fibres down to the fibre manifold in BT's Pit by our pole.

So can anyone tell me what's the steps needed for FTTP install to go ahead from start to end, because it must of been fine for the other half of our road?

I have forgotten the last one or two questions, so I will post them when I remember them.

Thanks
Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Feb-15 17:45:07
Print Post

Re: Question about the Commercial Rollout...

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Why strange that half a road be done? Any stranger than stopping at the junction with the next road? They have to stop somewhere, and where exactly is often dictated by existing network layout.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/
Shows all the fibre kit, and http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc... specifically covers what is needed for a build.

The job might be simple enough, but there is a lot of people saying that and with only so many people and politicians screaming about the rural areas then guess where the priority lays.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 18:24:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Andrew

Its not the case of where do they stop the install, I just don't get why they started the install on our pole and pit to even get all the fibre hardware installed in the pit and up the pole (minus the fibre), if they had intentions to stop half way down our road, then they wouldn't of installed all the manifold etc, also like I said before when they was installing all the hardware I was even told that it will be another few weeks for the fibre to be blown and then to go live and that was the last time I saw them there.
It was like one morning they get told to fibre up all these roads and then the next day nothing.

I understand all that your saying and don't really want to come off as keep moaning, but why does all the BTOR Engineers all say its installed when its not, they even point to the hardware.

I just don't want to be part of that last 2% that possibly won't get fibre even though we was down for it back in 2011 with phase 05b, and to wait until the last 2% is left to be told sorry we forgot about you.

I have also watched several government videos over the last year or so about fibre broadband including the ones you post a link to on the news page and they all give the impression that the commercial rollout has completed when it hasn't, and they seem to mostly talk about BDUK areas.

I am aware of the rural areas getting priority and I am fine with most of that, but when areas that get very fast speed in the range of +17Mbits to near max ADSL2+ speeds to be given fibre via the BDUK where as people in the Greater London area that get sub standard speeds like sub 2Mbits or around that speed misses out due to not being able to get BDUK funding.

I am also aware that they may not have enough staff to do all the fibre installs, but it seems that BTOR are now only doing BDUK installs and no more Commercial installs unless I am checking in the wrong areas, surly they could also do some commercial rollouts that the put on hold.

Its just frustrating that 5 doors down has it and we get left with rubbish speeds which does now and then drop out due to winds and rain.

Thanks

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 20:08:56
Print Post

What's your postcode?

Can any of your neighbours get FTTP?
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 20:19:41
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
What's your postcode?
E12 5AX door number lower than 56, houses 56 and above for postcode E12 5AX and 43 and above for E12 5AY get FTTP.

Our phones go through PCP 24, and top half uses PCP 39.
I know we are FTTP, but it seems BTOR install fibre to addresses based on their cabinet, may be wrong, but that's what it seems with my checks.

Can any of your neighbours get FTTP?
Yeah several doors up from us can, but they are on a different pole.

Thanks
Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 03-Feb-15 20:22:03)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 20:31:08
Print Post

Yeah, I can see you're in the 49% of E12 5AX on PCP 24.

I'm not quite sure how you progress this one. I know someone else in a similar position and I've been bugging Openreach for a few weeks now on it.

The problem is that the FTTP network has to begin and finish somewhere (even though there's no logical reason why you can't get FTTP).
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 20:42:52
Print Post

Thanks for checking.

It just annoys me that back in 2011 we was part of the 66% that was to be fibred up, which was why back then they fitted all the required hardware in the pit and up the pole back then and to also be told by them (i.e. BTOR engineers and not sub contractors) when installing that hardware that over the next few weeks the fibre tubing and the blowing of the fibre will be done and should then be enabled.

As to begin and finish some where, we its begun but not finished.
I think I will get my local MP's involved again and see what they can do.

But yeah I agree.

Once again thanks
Paul
Standard User rogan8
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Feb-15 20:49:57
Print Post

This is the man to ask. http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9593
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 21:18:55
Print Post

Sorry I couldn't give you more positive news!

Try this form to contact Openreach - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/contact-us-...

Out of interest, which ISP would you join for FTTP?
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Tue 03-Feb-15 21:44:30
Print Post

Sorry I couldn't give you more positive news!
That's fine, like I said I am getting our local MP involved due to this issue, in the middle of writing the email now.
May also try that CEO email address.

Try this form to contact Openreach - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/contact-us-...
There is no way to contact them from that page unless you want to reports vandalism or complain about mess left behind, I guess I could report that somebody has stolen all the tubing and fibre, due to that's all we are missing tongue

Out of interest, which ISP would you join for FTTP?
Well its my parents line and they wanted to stay with BT to keep it all in one single package of payment, but we would of gone with BT highest option due to there is a lot of us here that use the internet, well try and use the internet.

But sadly if it doesn't gets done by the time Virgin Media is installed down our road we will most probably move everything over to them, which are currently installing in my are and have been told by them on the phone that our road is currently work in progress and should see something happening about March to April and if not to phone back.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to