General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(regular) Wed 04-Feb-15 13:38:21
Print Post

Under Review

[link to this post]

If a cabinet is under review (searching on the where and when site)...

"Status: Under Review

We're in your area but we're still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can't order Superfast Fibre."

...why do they offer a gap funded solution - surely if you can gap fund it the assessment has been done but deemed too expensive and the Openreach where and when site is just lying.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Under Review'
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Feb-15 14:13:25
Print Post

Re: Under Review

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

There are chunks of new funding around, both gap and commercial so they might be reconsidering some previous excluded areas.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Wed 04-Feb-15 18:06:14
Print Post

I am in the say situation where it says the same for me, has done for a while now.
It can get rather frustrating seeing everyone getting it or have had it for a few years now, but its a matter of just crossing fingers and waiting, muttering a few words to self and then waiting some more, and then hope they get to a list of possible next installs and yours is more viable than the rest.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Wed 04-Feb-15 20:13:11
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I suppose I'm in a fortunate position of being able to get Virgin, however I've tried them and wasn't happy with them. My cab is a smaller one and similar ones in the area also have been missed, the larger cabs on the next road have been upgraded - Openreach quoted me £16.5k plus vat for the gap funding.

Looks like we'll have wait for the 'review'

Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Under Review'
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Feb-15 20:41:24
Print Post

Which will probably bring you nothing given that you have VM available. BDUK funding is intended to help those that have no access to higher speed broadband, not to offer users a choice. Your best hope is that others on the cab don't have access to VM which could then possibly allow BDUK funding towards an upgrade.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Wed 04-Feb-15 21:53:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by kebabselector:
I suppose I'm in a fortunate position of being able to get Virgin, however I've tried them and wasn't happy with them.
Yeah they are installing in our area at the moment due to being part of the 100,000 homes of East London to get their Fibre product, and if all goes well with the planning permission they told me we should start to see their cabinets being installed down our road in 3 to 4 months.

So we may give them a try, at least it will be better than what we currently have, may also get their TV packages with a few Tivo Boxes and get rid of Sky.

My cab is a smaller one and similar ones in the area also have been missed, the larger cabs on the next road have been upgraded - Openreach quoted me £16.5k plus vat for the gap funding.
Well we cannot get any funding for our BTOR Fibre, so we may have to go with VM.

Yup, hopefully the wait isn't that long.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Wed 04-Feb-15 21:59:35
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Hmm, how would that work if VM is refused by the local council and being part of Greater London.
That would be a huge watsit (not to get censored LOL) due to not being in an area that allows BDUK.

But if that all happens they will have to change the name from a conservation area to a stone age area LOL.

Paul
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Feb-15 22:23:35
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

My reply was to kebabselector who stated that VM is already available at his location.

In my case, also in central London, I'm on a development with 75+ EO lines with all adjacent properties having access to both VM and FTTC. VM not interested despite their trunking passing <3m in front of 21of the properties and BT aren't doing anything for EO lines in London. At least you've got the prospect, although much delayed, of eventually having the choice of either VM or FTTP.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Wed 04-Feb-15 22:40:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
My reply was to kebabselector who stated that VM is already available at his location.

Yeah, I know, was just wondering that's all.

In my case, also in central London, I'm on a development with 75+ EO lines with all adjacent properties having access to both VM and FTTC. VM not interested despite their trunking passing <3m in front of 21of the properties and BT aren't doing anything for EO lines in London. At least you've got the prospect, although much delayed, of eventually having the choice of either VM or FTTP.
This may not even happen yet, Newham Council are very strict especially when living in a conservation area, we all had to have our Sky Dishes moved out of sight I.e. relocated to back of house, lucky Sky agreed to take down old dish and install a brand new dish at the back of our house just below the guttering and re-wired our 4 HD Boxes with lovely dual feeder coax for £15 smile
Anyhow like I said we may not get lucky and VM may get refused planning permission for the cabinets down our road, so we may end up with nothing, but yeah we could be lucky and get both leaving us a choice.

You may also get lucky and over the next two phases 95% and ~98% (whatever it is) you may get it then, I also have a feeling that's when I will have to wait as well.

As for EO Lines in London, yeah I noticed that when I was doing checks on my exchange and I did random postcode checks and found loads of EO Lines also not getting moved over to cabinets.

Like I said to my local MP last night in the email I sent him, "Greater London must get greater the further you go out, because its certainly isn't great here at the moment" LOL

Paul
(regular) Thu 05-Feb-15 09:59:23
Print Post

Which will probably bring you nothing given that you have VM available. BDUK funding is intended to help those that have no access to higher speed broadband, not to offer users a choice.

As I live in Birmingham we've never had BDUK funding - I just find it strange that BT/Openreach would not want to get customers on their network. A wifi search in the area shows a lot of Virgin customers, now BT are offering a TV package as well you'd think they might want to broaden their user base.

It would be nice if 'Under Review' would just state the truth and be called 'Waiting for someone else to pay'

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to