General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ChrisMag
(newbie) Wed 04-Feb-15 14:43:45
Print Post

Two lines - different speeds?

[link to this post]

We've just had a fibre cabinet fitted (cab 5 on Leire exchange) and the Openreach and power vans have been and gone, with the pavement trenches covered back up. Today we've had an Openreach van at the fibre cabinet with an engineer in his plastic tent doing some work in it.

Hopefully we will be enabled soon but in the meantime, we have two business lines that are different standard broadband speeds (presumably different routes to the exchange) and I'll be upgrading one to Infinity. I'd like to upgrade the slower line but I don't want to sacrifice speed if the slower cable has issues.

Can anyone tell me whether or not an engineer can check to see if there would be any Infinity speed difference between the 2 lines, from the fibre cabinet to the property?

Cheers.

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Feb-15 14:49:11
Print Post

Re: Two lines - different speeds?

[re: ChrisMag] [link to this post]

Not normally, if the line at install time is well outside the predicted range they might try some remedies to get you to within the range, but then engineer based installs are rare and cost more, so will depend on what you order.

If your estimates are in the 60 to 80 Mbps range then if the copper was the problem then very likely it was on the exchange side of the cabinet, rather than the run to your property.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 04-Feb-15 14:53:35
Print Post

[re: ChrisMag] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ChrisMag:
Can anyone tell me whether or not an engineer can check to see if there would be any Infinity speed difference between the 2 lines, from the fibre cabinet to the property?

Not without installing service on both lines and testing it out. Some tests might show up line faults, however they can be repaired. Line performance can ultimately only be checked with service.

It is possible to do a pair swap - this was tried on my lines when I had a fault. The PSTN/Infimity line was swapped with the ISDN and then reverted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ChrisMag
(newbie) Wed 04-Feb-15 15:47:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your replies.

I'll have to risk it. I just wish that it would be enabled! wink
  Print Thread

Jump to