General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rocky1234
(newbie) Thu 05-Feb-15 14:43:01
Print Post

FTTP Installation

[link to this post]

Hi,

A bit of advice needed. I received the following email below from Openreach earlier today after i had been chasing them and BT reference FTTP to my property.

Thanks for your email.

I have taken the opportunity to speak at length with the fibre team this morning to find out just what is going on for you.

If I can explain,

When we upgrade a cabinet to fibre to the premises, its not as straightforward as saying you are on cabinet 92 therefore you will be getting this service.

Along with the cabinet, there needs to be fibre equipment installed near the property too.

This means as in the is case, there are several projects for each cabinet, which is why not everyone can have this service at the same time.

Yours is close to completion now and the fibre team tell me you should be able to order in about 4 weeks.

This is why you need to keep an eye on the website as we will update it as soon as its ready for your order.

I hope this explains the reasons why you have not been provided with this service as yet.

I live on a new development and houses on my road (about 150m way) can get FTTP which were built before mine (by about 9 months).

At the moment i can only get speeds of approx 0.85mb download as i am about 5km from the exchange and have been pestering BT and Openreach for the last 8 weeks and after persisting they are starting to give me answers where as before they just fobbed me off with 'fibre is not available in your area' etc

Now from reading the above quote how true do you think that would be? Any thoughts?

Open reach website does say that my postcode/telephone number is under review. But that i guess doesn't mean too much!

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Feb-15 14:57:21
Print Post

Re: FTTP Installation

[re: Rocky1234] [link to this post]

The FTTP network does require hardware deployed in every street, with the final bit before the fibre is run to each home being called a manifold that is shared between 8 to 12 homes.

If the FTTP roll-out was done when say phase 1 had been built on the estate, and they are in the middle of phase 2 then it is highly likely that you have none of the FTTP infrastructure to your property.

There email suggests that the build to add maybe another fibre splitter and the manifolds for the other properties is underway, and if its underground it may not be obvious without wandering over to say hi when Openreach has a pit open.

Images at the end of the page at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/def... give some idea of what might be in the pavement chambers, and the final manifold element will look like http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rocky1234
(newbie) Thu 05-Feb-15 15:36:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

An openreach engineer came out to see me mid December to see if he could do anything with my poor speed and was surprised that FTTP was not yet possible on my end of the street as he recently installed it to a house that was 13 doors away!!

The engineer looked in the duct underground that feeds the house and he said the manifold was in place for FTTP.

BT said last week that the reason at the moment was there was no distribution point, which comes before the manifold doesn't it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Feb-15 16:07:57
Print Post

Correct

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc... shows the layout to be expected.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rocky1234
(newbie) Thu 05-Feb-15 16:25:36
Print Post

Thats great thank you.

By the looks of it there may not be much left to do then.

Keeping my fingers crossed smile
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Thu 05-Feb-15 16:32:35
Print Post

LOL, IMG_4397 cracks me up, seems somebody brought their hamster to work tongue

Engineers have it so easy now days when splicing fibre the machines do it for them, I remember when we learnt how to splice fibre we had an eye piece to look and examine the end of each of the fibres and polish them with washing up liquid on a very light sand paper, then we had to glue them together (long time ago, then we learnt how to join them by heating the ends up.
Granted they wasn't this thin.

Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Feb-15 16:55:54
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Engineers have it so easy now days when splicing fibre the machines do it for them, I remember when we learnt how to splice fibre we had an eye piece to look and examine the end of each of the fibres and polish them with washing up liquid on a very light sand paper, then we had to glue them together (long time ago, then we learnt how to join them by heating the ends up.

Yes, and I understand they can now connect two lengths of copper wire and allow 'telephone' conversations over it ! Quite remarkable. smile

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Thu 05-Feb-15 17:00:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Yes, and I understand they can now connect two lengths of copper wire and allow 'telephone' conversations over it ! Quite remarkable. smile
You mean I don't have to use a wet piece of string or a long straight piece of string with a Heinz Bean Tin either end.
Wow how technology grows tongue

Paul
Standard User Rocky1234
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 14:09:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The FTTP network does require hardware deployed in every street, with the final bit before the fibre is run to each home being called a manifold that is shared between 8 to 12 homes.

If the FTTP roll-out was done when say phase 1 had been built on the estate, and they are in the middle of phase 2 then it is highly likely that you have none of the FTTP infrastructure to your property.

There email suggests that the build to add maybe another fibre splitter and the manifolds for the other properties is underway, and if its underground it may not be obvious without wandering over to say hi when Openreach has a pit open.

Images at the end of the page at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/def... give some idea of what might be in the pavement chambers, and the final manifold element will look like http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...

Just a quick update KN networks were working in the duct the other side of house this morning and by the looks of it they were putting in the item or connecting the item which is as per the image 4415 on your post (first link)

Is that the distribution point for FTTP?

Also do KN networks work on behalf/alongside open reach??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 14:18:15
Print Post

Various firms do work as sub contractors for Openreach but yes if 4415 was what you saw then that is the fibre DP and will link to manifold for each cluster of premises

e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...
A better sense of scale is obtained from from images in http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6678-fttp-on-its-...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to