General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User krd
(newbie) Fri 06-Feb-15 11:13:56
Print Post

Process to enable lines in a Fibre enabled cabinet?

[link to this post]

I am connected to a cabinet that has recently been enabled for fibre broadband - Highclere Cabinet 7, enabled on 15th Jan 2015. My home phone line is connected to this cabinet and is not yet able to get fibre service. There are properties around the corner from me connected to the same cabinet and equidistant from the cabinet, that can get fibre now. What is the process once a cabinet is enabled, for the phone lines within it to be enabled also? Are they done in batches and I just need to wait until they get to me?

Thanks for any insight!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-Feb-15 11:36:15
Print Post

Re: Process to enable lines in a Fibre enabled cabinet?

[re: krd] [link to this post]

There is a tie cable from the PCP (cabinet) to the VDSL twin. When you order a VDSL connection the technician goes to the PCP and separates the incoming E-side from the exchange and D-side which goes to your house.

He then connects the E-side to a tie pair which goes to the DSLAM in te twin. At that point the voice and VDSL signals are combined onto another pair in the tie cable. He will then connect your D-side to the retuning tie pair within the PCP.

So, every one is actually implemented "on-demand"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 06-Feb-15 12:01:30
Print Post

As MHC says. Just to clarify, fibre ( FTTC) is an upgrade that you have to order and pay for. Or migrate to it with a different ISP if their prices are better.

What does this checker say for your phone number? (May not work on Sky or TalkTalk line rental lines).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Feb-15 12:17:56
Print Post

What are the speed estimates for those that can get it, if you want post a postcode for someone who can get it, and might be able to figure out what the issue from that is. i.e. phone lines don't radiate out equally, so you might be too far from the cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krd
(newbie) Fri 06-Feb-15 12:57:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi. Postcode for someone that can get it is RG20 9TD and for not being able to get it is RG20 9TJ. Thanks!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-Feb-15 13:05:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by krd:
Hi. Postcode for someone that can get it is RG20 9TD and for not being able to get it is RG20 9TJ. Thanks!

Are you sure 9TD can get it? The basic BT postcode checker says NO.

On a second attempt, with the address checker, No.1 RG20 9TJ can get 70+ on Cab7 as so several more properties.

Try: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

M H C

Edited by MHC (Fri 06-Feb-15 13:14:26)

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Fri 06-Feb-15 13:12:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by krd:
Well postce RG20 9TJ seems to be exchange only however RG20 9TD is using cabinet 7.

Hmm BT DSL Checker says its Cabinet 7, so forget what I said tongue

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 06-Feb-15 13:14:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Feb-15 13:41:22
Print Post

1 and 5 in Paddock End, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 9TJ and BT Consumer site is happy to let you order from those addresses.

I think there has been some issues with the postcode in the past or it was an EO postcode that is now on cabinet 7.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krd
(newbie) Fri 06-Feb-15 14:21:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you MrSaffron. Is there anything I can do to resolve this for the other properties in Paddock End?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-Feb-15 14:47:11
Print Post

Use the link in my earlier post and not that I said numerous properties can get FTTC. All of 1 to 15 are OK, what number does it go up to?

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to