General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chefbyte
(member) Sat 07-Feb-15 13:18:25
Print Post

Missed cab off rollout

[link to this post]

Who can I ask to get the reason why my cab was missed off the BDSUK/BTOR rollout out in Grimsby?

Exchange SCARTHO, Cabinet 1 is my cab and yet all around me all others were upgraded and enjoying superfast internet and im sat on a 8MB connection and working from home is not fun.

Its a kick in the teeth for me as it was me that got ADSL into South Humberside in the first place and won a national award for doing so frown

Tried my MP and BT in general and got a reply from MP who passed on the usual diatribe from Ed Varzys office and all BT stated was they do not have any plans on upgrading it.

Got the same answer from the BDUK as well.

I would like to know why and not just leave it hanging there without a reason?

Pete
Formally known as BB4Grimsby
National award winner for Broadband Campaigning
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Feb-15 13:27:33
Print Post

Re: Missed cab off rollout

[re: chefbyte] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chefbyte:
I would like to know why and not just leave it hanging there without a reason?
Because it's not commercially viable. Mostly likely BT feel that the number of potential customers would be too low to raise sufficient revenue to cover the costs. Where BDUK is concerned they might have concluded that they will get more value for their money by enabling another cabinet. Another possibility is that the number of customers who'd actually benefit might be too low (perhaps most of the lines are just too long even from the cabinet).

You don't really need the specific reasons because ultimately there is only one and that's money. One way or another the cost of upgrading it is just too great to justify the work.

To be honest if you have an 8Mb/s connection you should have no problems working from home. If you're trying to actually do the work at home and exchange data over the network then don't. Set up a machine at your office and use remoting software to control it. Windows RDP at least can offer a pretty fair experience over a lot less than that. It's actually designed to work over an analogue modem.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 07-Feb-15 13:31:05)

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sat 07-Feb-15 17:49:02
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yeah, I also think may be down to the speed that they are getting, or the overall speed of Cabinet 1 shown below.
Exchange Name: Scartho
Exchange Code: SLSC

Cabinet: 1
Fibre Phase: No information found.
Home Count: 216.

[DN33 1EJ]
Has 41 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 12.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 7.0 to 17.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)

[DN33 1EN]
Has 39 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 15.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 8.5 to 19.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)

[DN33 1EP]
Has 11 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)

[DN33 1EW]
Has 4 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)

[DN34 5DU]
Has 1 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[DN34 5DW]
Has 5 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[DN34 5EY]
Has 4 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[DN34 5EZ]
Has 2 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[DN34 5LP]
Has 10 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 7.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.0 to 11.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 12.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 7.0 to 17.0 (downstream range)

[DN34 5LR]
Has 13 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 11.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 7.5 to 15.0 (downstream range)

[DN34 5LS]
Has 56 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)

[DN34 5LU]
Has 7 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 11.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 7.5 to 15.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 11.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 7.5 to 15.0 (downstream range)

[DN34 5LW]
Has 23 home(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 11.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 6.5 to 15.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 15.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 8.5 to 19.0 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
The terms ADSLx mean either ADSL Max or ADSL2+.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Seems that Cabinet 1 can support from 7Mbits up to 17Mbits depending on their postcode and which end of the road they live.

Also Cabinet 1 isn't the only one that hasn't been upgraded, theirs 4, 8, 9, 13, 14, 24 and possibly more.

As for remote accessing a PC at the office, its do able on 4Mbits, my brother works form home when living here and I think he used Remote Desktop, only issue was latency.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Feb-15 19:29:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yeah, it doesn't sound like anyone connected to that cabinet is in dire need of BDUK funds. BDUK probably has many cabinets on its books where people are struggling to get much above 2Mb/s.

Of course I'm not trying to suggest that the OP doesn't deserve better but quite a lot of people are in a far worse position. There still isn't much online that really requires better than 8Mb/s.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sat 07-Feb-15 19:36:55
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yeah, we get a fair bit less than that, however what makes it worse is there are five of us here all using the internet and as soon as somebody starts Netflix or Amazon Prime Streaming, YouTube (SD Content) everyone else has issues.

But saying that like you said there is huge amounts of people worse off and I have seen the speeds some people are getting, so hopefully they get fibre.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to