General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User superleccy
(newbie) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:05:14
Print Post

Hackney, Shoreditch Exchange. New(ish) apartment complex.

[link to this post]

Hi

I live an an apartment in a complex in Hackney, London, which was built around 2007. Thereís no fibre broadband installed, and typical ADSL speeds are 3Mbps down / 0.5Mbps up, regardless of provider. We really really want Fibre Broadband here. Obviously!

Virgin arenít interested. Hyperoptic are interested, and although I canít quite fathom whatís going on, our management company are being uncooperative. So the only other option are Openreaach.

Entering our details at superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when returns the following, with a question-mark over the location of our exchange, which is Shoreditch.

ďWe're keen to bring Superfast Fibre to your area and are exploring how best to achieve that. We may deliver it as part of our commercial programme, or by working in partnership with your local authority. At the moment you can't order Superfast Fibre.Ē

What exactly does this mean? And what has to happen to move this forward?

I know that the Shoreditch exchange is enabled for Fibre, and thereís several green cabinets in the streets surrounding us with ďFibre Broadband Is HereĒ posters on them.

Of course, Openreach just ignore my attempts to contact them, my current provider (Sky) canít tell me anything, and our management company donít even seem to understand what Fibre broadband is (or at least, thatís the impression Iím getting).

So, I know that some kind of infrastructure needs to be upgraded somewhere. Maybe a cabinet in the street, or something in our complex, or both. And someone would have to do that, and someone else would have to pay for it, and probably certain parties (possibly including our buildings management company) would need to co-operate with each other.

Can anyone here give me any clues about what the blocker might be? Or how I can find that out for myself? That would be very much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
SL

Edited by superleccy (Sun 08-Feb-15 00:53:37)

Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:09:49
Print Post

Re: Hackney, Shoreditch Exchange. New(ish) apartment comple

[re: superleccy] [link to this post]

What cabinet are you on?
Also a postcode may help.

I have found the following cabinets for your exchange that currently only have ADSLx:
Cabinet 7 (no fibre info)
Cabinet 8 (no fibre info)
Cabinet 14 FTTC Planned (exchange ready 20th September 2011)
Cabinet 40 (no fibre info)
Cabinet 46 FTTC Planned by 30th June 2015
Cabinet 51 (no fibre info)
Cabinet 52
There are also huge amounts of EO Lines as well.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 07-Feb-15 18:24:37)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:10:02
Print Post

Use the BT Address checker (not the Postcode checker), enter your postcode and then select your address from the drop down box. What does this say? Paste a copy of the output but delete your phone number and/or flat number.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User superleccy
(newbie) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:29:38
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Strange. When I use the address checker, my flat number isn't in the list, but all the other flats in the complex are.

When I use the phone number checker, I get...

Telephone Number 0207xxxxxxx on Exchange SHOREDITCH.

It doesn't give me a cabinet number!!!

My postcode is Echo Two Eight Foxtrot Bravo.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:34:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by superleccy:
Strange. When I use the address checker, my flat number isn't in the list, but all the other flats in the complex are.

When I use the phone number checker, I get...

Telephone Number 0207xxxxxxx on Exchange SHOREDITCH.

It doesn't give me a cabinet number!!!

My postcode is Echo Two Eight Foxtrot Bravo.

If its not displaying a cabinet number like the line you posted, that means you are most probably on an EO (Exchange Only) Line.

Looking up info for your post code.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:43:12
Print Post

As an Exchange Only (EO) line BT are unable to supply FTTC as this requires an intermediate cab which is absent where the line is EO. Whether BT will provide the necessary network rearrangement so as to install a cab and associated FTTC cab comes down to money and whether the project is considered commercially viable. To date the only times this has happened is where BDUK has paid for the upgrade or where the local community has stepped in and provided the necessary funds. Unfortunately, being in London, there is no BDUK funding to fall back on.

I'm in a similar position, a cluster of 75 EO lines in SW9. In our case we have managed to raise the funds and are currently in the process of signing with BT for them to do the necessary work.
Standard User superleccy
(newbie) Sat 07-Feb-15 18:53:07
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Thanks. An EO line would explain a lot. We are about 1 mile away from the exchange. Does that sound right?

I'm guessing it'd be a pipe dream, How do you set the ball rolling for community-funded installation?

Many thanks indeed
SL
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sat 07-Feb-15 19:27:58
Print Post

Well after a search for all postcode for your Exchange Only Block I have the following:
Exchange Name: Shoreditch
Exchange Code: CLSHO

Cabinet: EO (Exchange Only)
Fibre Phase: No Information found.
Result Count: 154.

[Your Postcode]
Has 42 home(s) connected to EO (Exchange Only) with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)

[E2 8EF]
Has 31 home(s) connected to EO (Exchange Only) with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 8.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.5 to 12.5 (downstream range)

[E2 8EX]
Has 1 home(s) connected to EO (Exchange Only) with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[E2 8EY]
Has 5 home(s) connected to EO (Exchange Only) with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[E2 8EZ]
Has 75 home(s) connected to EO (Exchange Only) with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Ü Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Seems the owners of that building hates the number 13, also seems that every lift has their own broadband connection tongue

As for the distance from you to the exchange its about 1.25km (birds eye view) so yeah about 1mile.

Sadly like MCM said, you need to be connected to a cabinet to get FTTC, but I cannot see any information point to this in the works, so you may have to wait.

Sorry

Paul.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Feb-15 19:39:16
Print Post

You need to talk to other residents and decide if a sum of £20,000 to £30,000 can be raised, that is a ball park figure to be aiming at, but if the flats are all Exchange Only it might be higher.

Openreach can do the work outside the flats, which if you have a troublesome management company is the only way. Hyperoptic will be a lot faster and more future proof, but you need to work on the management company.

Did you not consider broadband before committing to the flat?

Of course there is 4G and people like https://www1.relish.net/ who may be able to provide you a better than ADSL connection in the meantime.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Sat 07-Feb-15 23:37:06
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Just been checking out some friends' addresses on Shoreditch on dslchecker. Seems that the blocks are EO, but a free standing building pretty much next to them have FTTC. The residents don't care tho as they're lucky enough to have VM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to