General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deiwise
(committed) Mon 09-Feb-15 11:13:35
Print Post

Cabinet still waiting for power

[link to this post]

Hi,

Cabinet 2 in Slapton (WWTORX exchange in Torcross) has long since had the fibre installed, but we're still waiting for power due to an unknown problem. Connecting Devon and Somerset don't know when it'll happen, and Openreach are oddly quiet on the matter; there's also no upcoming jobs listed on roadworks.org.

Has anyone else been in this position, and/or is able to find out when we might be turned on?

Thanks

Will
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Feb-15 16:09:50
Print Post

Re: Cabinet still waiting for power

[re: deiwise] [link to this post]

Often waiting on a wayleave to connect to power on private land. Can take days, or months.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Mon 09-Feb-15 17:39:55
Print Post

All I can find is the following:
Exchange Name: Torcross
Exchange Code: WWTORX
County: Devon

Cabinet: 2
Fibre Phase: BDUK CDS 12a
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 4th March 2014)

Result Count: ? (no speed test done)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Cannot see anything else, sorry.

May be worth waiting for one of the others that can find more info.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deiwise
(committed) Mon 09-Feb-15 18:33:30
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks Paul, Andy. Good point about private land, but realistically the new box is only a couple of metres from the old one, on council property, so I think the issue is less legal and more technical. Just a bit painful waiting and waiting!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Feb-15 19:08:26
Print Post

The old one won't have power. It is entirely passive.

The power will be coming from somewhere else.
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Mon 09-Feb-15 19:46:19
Print Post

Hi Paul

Where are you getting this info from?, I would like to check my exchange if possible, or do you work for an ISP/BT?.

Thanks
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Mon 09-Feb-15 19:57:56
Print Post

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spetznaz:
Hi Paul

Where are you getting this info from?, I would like to check my exchange if possible, or do you work for an ISP/BT?.

Thanks
LOL, na, I don't work for any ISP.
If I was working for an ISP like BT, then I wouldn't have issues getting Fibre tongue

I have written an application that allows me to do some checks using postcodes, exchange and cabinet into without causing impact issues to their network.

Its just it can become time consuming when loads of postcodes are returned for a cabinet.

As for the sites that I use, one is the BT DSL Checker which I use to compare speeds etc and the others have been posted on these forums.
Just a matter of looking.

I cannot get the whole lot of the information, just what is made public online.

What postcode?

Paul
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Mon 09-Feb-15 20:09:35
Print Post

SP3 6BN - right out in the sticks smile

No info that fttc is coming at all apart from roadworks.org showing cabinet being installed between 16-24th of this month..
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Mon 09-Feb-15 20:37:05
Print Post

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

I assume your on Cabinet 1?

Sadly the places I get the information from is saying different information like what cabinets are being used etc.
Exchange Name: East Knoyle
Exchange Code: STEASTK
County: Wiltshire

Cabinets: 1
Fibre Phase: No phase information found.
Fibre Information: None found.
Result Count: 48

[SP3 6BN]
Has 48 result(s) connected to Cabinet 1 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 4.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 2.5 to 7.0 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 6.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 5.0 to 8.0 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Strangely I cannot find any information on that cabinet.

There was one address with that postcode that was connected to a different exchange than these, they had FTTC.

Also it seems according to my information that your exchange hasn't been upgraded to fibre yet and also has no fibre cabinets linked to it yet, or maybe this info hasn't been updated where I look.
What has me confused is its not even saying if its an exchange only or using a PCP cabinet, where as the BT DSL Checker says cabinet 1.

So you may have to wait for somebody that does and can get that information.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 09-Feb-15 20:45:54)

Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Mon 09-Feb-15 20:52:38
Print Post

Yes I'm on cabinet 1. The only info I have is that the fttc cab will be installed 16-24th Feb (roadworks) and is 'due' to get it by end of this year (according to Wilshire online), so a pretty broad range, hopefully there won't be any issues once its installed and will get it sooner rather than later this year.

I have a feeling it is being hurried through because there are some capacity issues anyway with ADSL on this exchange (sub 2mbit speeds in the evening on premium), although they won't admit it, probably just wishful thinking though smile

Thanks anyway.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to