General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TiMeTraVeLeR
(member) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:16:35
Print Post

Can you ever get fastpath back once lnterleaved?

[link to this post]

Hi, Moved from ADSL+2 to fibre large after some trepidation after worrying about losing my 17ms jitter free ping.

All was good for a week 15ms ping no jitter 62 down 17 up.

No reboots and no errors reported from the modem but sadly this morning I wake to find 24ms ping and 56mb /16mb

I can live with the speed its fast path I would like back is there a chance after 8 days of getting it back?

Thanks.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:21:42
Print Post

Re: Can you ever get fastpath back once lnterleaved?

[re: TiMeTraVeLeR] [link to this post]

Yes, it should revert as long as the line is stable. Maybe 8 days, maybe less, maybe more. I've come on and off fast path many times.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
(member) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:25:43
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thank you kasg.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:52:04
Print Post

Mine has changed a couple of times over the last 2 years and can take a month to switch back even with a 100% stable line.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Feb-15 15:20:02
Print Post

This may also depend on which DLM stability option talk talk use i assume your isp to be talk talk as "fibre large" is talk talks sales blurb for the BT-OR GEA 80/20 FTTC service

Basically all isp's have 3 options to choose from ,these 3 options set different error rate thresholds and loss of sync event counts

So can influence to some degree if dlm intervenes or not , i would also assume that the selected stability option could have some baring on how long dlm will take before reverting back to fast path or not
Some Isp's provision their customers on the Speed option , talk talk may select a different option , these stability options can be changed by the isp ,without the isp entering into a new min term
Further info
Stability Levels

You could ask your isp which dlm stability option they choose , and if either the stable ,or standard BT Openreach options are selected then you could try and see if they will change this to the speed option , this may make a difference in your favour, it also may not make any difference, it all depends on other factors with your line
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Tue 10-Feb-15 15:21:59
Print Post

It reverted back for me. In mid January my HH5 got a firmware update. That has the side effect of a modest boost in sync speed (about 4%), but within two days (after just one resync) I got put onto interleaving and lost abut 9mbps of speed (but it was absolutely rock-solid). About a week later it got taken off and back up to the higher sync speed (and the odd disconnection - every couple of days or so).

So yes, if it's stable it does come off in my experience.
(member) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:33:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, and that's some nice info you have gave me there Tommy45 Thanks.

Edited by TiMeTraVeLeR (Tue 10-Feb-15 16:39:08)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:06:39
Print Post

Hi

Well after months and months of fastpath (always had been) my SNR due to cross-talk has gone from 10.5 down to 8.5, a gradual decline.

My line never disconnects and syncs at 80/20.

Then on Sunday gone, it had disconnected at 4:45am ish (no record of disconnects before then indicating any problems) and resync'd as interleaved, latency went up by 8ms. SNR was now 6db and sync rate had dropped to 78,000 from 80,000. The SNR drop is presumably due to extra margin being used up to provide the overheads for interleaving and error correction.

I just accepted it would likely stay this way for a long time.

Now, Wednesday, some 3 days after interleaving was enabled, I've checked this morning and the line dropped at 4:15am and resync'd back to fastpath with a margin of 8.5 as it was before, and back to 80/20.

I was surprised at the quick turn around.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Wed 11-Feb-15 08:44:42)

(member) Wed 11-Feb-15 09:20:24
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Thank you PhilipD smile

I have asked about stability profile's on the TT forum lets see what they say.

Edited by TiMeTraVeLeR (Wed 11-Feb-15 09:21:46)

Print Thread

Jump to