General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jacko0
(learned) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:20:38
Print Post

Can I get FTTP from a new build site thats behind my house?

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

Behind my house is a new housing development being built for about 64 homes. I have spoken to the building company (Bellway) and they have told me that BT are installing FTTP in every house. (Lucky B**tards!!)

My house currently only has slow ADSL (4mb) and I'm having a nightmare because my cabinet is not going to be upgraded any time soon to FTTC because of many problems with Kidbrooke PCP2. It's so bad I made a website to explain the issue. wellingfibre.co.uk

Anyway...my question is.. do you think Openreach could connect my house to FFTP from the new housing development? The bottom of my garden backs directly onto the new site.

I spoke to the site foreman and he gave me the Openreach contact for the new development, I will call him when get gets back to work (he's currently on sick leave).

Edited by jacko0 (Tue 10-Feb-15 19:58:54)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:23:50
Print Post

Re: Can I get FTTP from a new build site thats behind my hou

[re: jacko0] [link to this post]

General experience would suggest probably not. BT are so large that standard procedures need to be followed and doing something "special" makes things over complicated (and if they do it for you then all your neighbours will want it to).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:37:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Of course if willing to splurge £30,000 they might consider something in the custom arena.

If your broadband is this bad, then a wireless point to point link to a friendly resident who has the FTTP service might be an option, e.g. you pay for the FTTP and split it into two networks, one for them that is free and another for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 19:02:10
Print Post

Maybe you can work on the builders and get them to duct through to your garden - and let them tell BT it is a "late addition". Some clever manipulation may well be needed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 10-Feb-15 20:22:13
Print Post

Is the fibre ducted or overhead?

If ducted, who is laying the ducting? If it is the contractor you might be able to get them to lay ducting to your property boundary, lay the rest your self and then get BT to provide a cable to your house. Clearly you would need to make sure that BT would do this first. If the duct would have to cross what might be a new occupiers garden you might have issues about 'rights of way'.

Michael Chare
Standard User jacko0
(learned) Tue 10-Feb-15 20:34:19
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

At the moment the they are demolishing the old council building that was on the site. When I speak to the Openreach guy I'll ask him if it's ducted or overhead.

I have a bad feeling about the rights of way and boundary's, our houses are going to be back garden to back garden. All I can do is ask and pray!

Also, I've sowed the seed with the Mrs that we might have to move to that nice new development. The kitchens are particularly nice wink

Edited by jacko0 (Tue 10-Feb-15 20:38:50)

Standard User flipdee
(member) Tue 10-Feb-15 20:58:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I second this, you can even have a second line installed in their house and pay the bill completely separately (invoiced to your own address).
Stick two UBNT Nanobeam AC19's up, one at yours and the other at theirs.
get about 250Mbps download with a decent signal.
Job Done.
MUCH cheaper than trying to persuade BT to go out of their way for you.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:23:29
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

I wonder if anyone knows what BT charges for a second FTTP line to a house? I wouldn't be surprised if the second line is significantly higher install charge than the first but I may be wrong.
  Print Thread

Jump to