General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bandinfo
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:29:01
Print Post

FTTC vs fibre broadband vs leased lines?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out some unbiased (not from the seller) info about upgrading from standard broadband (3 bonded lines at 20mb upload) to either fibre, FTTC, or BTNet leased lines. Mostly to support general internet use and a few cloud-based services (email, CRM, data back-up).

So far I have details from just BT on pricing, speeds, reliability and service level, plus lead times. Is there a way to find out any "cons" of each? My hunting via google hasn't pulled up much in terms of discussions/advice by others having to decide between these for an SME, beyond consideration of static IPs and contract checking.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:34:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC vs fibre broadband vs leased lines?

[re: bandinfo] [link to this post]

Fibre - not sure what you mean? What product? Both FTTC and leased lines are potentially fibre - "fibre" in itself is not a product.

FTTC - low(ish) cost, contended service

Leased line - high(er) cost, usually uncontended services, usually higher service levels for faults

Leased line is generally going to be best - but is also likely to be costly (although how good depends on exactly what product and service levels you are buying - many flavours of leased lines).

There are so many contract and technology variations for leased line (and contract variations for FTTC) that direct comparisons can only be done with specific product details. A high end FTTC service may actually provide better support than a very cheap leased line service.
Standard User bandinfo
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:40:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ah I'm quoting from BT - as in fibre broadband, that isn't FTTC etc., via cabinet to exchange. FTTC I thought was uncontended as it's our own fibre line direct to the exchange.

Thanks for the summary, and what to check for. Mostly wish to find out if there's something to be aware of that I'm not, currently.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:46:05
Print Post

I think you've got your terminology mixed up.

FTTC is a contended service. It is delivered by providing fibre to a cabinet and then uses the existing copper from the cabinet to the house. It is a shared service right the way out to the Internet. FTTC connects at slower speeds the further you are from the cabinet.

FTTP is also a contended service. This is provided in less than 1% of the UK and is not provided where there is FTTC (well, nearly always not). If you have FTTC available you won't have FTTP available. FTTP has high top speeds available than FTTC and is not distance limited.

FTTPoD - this is an extension of FTTC where you can get the fibre extended to the house. At that point it becomes the same product as FTTP. But, it is expensive to get installed, has a 3 year minimum contract on the top FTTP product (330Mb/s) and is only available in some areas. BT have currently got a hold on FTTPoD so can't be ordered.

Leased Line could be copper or fibre. Most leased line services are uncontended but not all. Leased Line covers a very large number of different products.

Fibre broadband is a catch all and means nothing outside of marketing material.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:13:50
Print Post

You need to consider how much down time you can accept. At present with three bonded lines, loss of one is not catastrophic as you would still have some reduced capability.

You MUST go for a Business grade service - don't try to cut costs by using a consumer service. Is next business day an acceptable response time for faults to be resolved or would you require a 4 hour response?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:31:02
Print Post

An excellent summary smile.

Just one thought, that you haven't covered - I wonder if his "fibre broadband" is really VM cable he is thinking of?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.3Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:34:48
Print Post

How much would you stand to lose if the service was broken for 2 days?

If talking large sums of money, then really the only option is a leased line, as you can get guaranteed access to engineers and teams to fix the connection. If it is in to the £1000's of pounds a day then time to look at diverse routing, or consider how the business operation runs, i.e. move more of the critical operation so it is running in the data centre and NOT reliant on connection to the office.

If going to bond then you can increase the redundancy, by having the primary leased line backed up on by an FTTC based service. A third backup such as ADSL2+ or a mobile service can be a lot slower than the two prime choices, but in terms of keeping a business running this would allow you to operate customer contact via emails etc.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bandinfo
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:21:25
Print Post

Hi, and thanks for your replies! I've been speaking with someone who refers to BT Infinity as "fibre broadband" so that's what I've been calling it. I have however been somehow thinking FTTC meant direct to exchange, despite "cabinet" being in the name :facepalm: - thanks for clearing that up.

I have prices for BT Infinity, "FTTC" as a 10mb (up/down) uncontended line, and then BTnet leased lines as 10/20/50mb over 100mb line. Uncontended, full SLA too. Not sure if copper/fibre though.

Plan was originally for 4 bonded lines, 1 x ADSL2+ and 3 x BT infinity (with additional 4G dongle as a small measure of emergency connectivity.) However our nearest cabinet is taking a while to be upgraded, and there is minimal tolerance for downtime - aiming for a few hours at absolute worst, better if we can not have that at all. (Don't worry, consumer/non-business services are not even a consideration.) Currently could have a 6hr response/fix time on BT Infinity or the uncontended FTTC option BT gave me, need to confirm for leased lines.

It's a small office (30 - 40 users), with no data centre but increasing dependence on cloud-based systems. Thanks for the heads up on diverse routing, I wished to look at options for internet + phone traffic in case of local exchange outage (which we have had once before in recent years.)

I think I may need to work out a clearer spec of redundancy, fix/response times and speed requirements to work out what would suit us best, and look to do this with some thought for our phone system too (looking to move that to BT too, and have some redundancy).

Thank you for the advice on leased line backed up by FTTC etc., though, I hadn't thought of combining those.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:28:44
Print Post

A very important point is to talk to different providers to ensure sales people are not talking rubbish or promising better when really its just a more creative use of wording.

One provider that has cropped up for redundancy and resiliency is http://www.timico.co.uk/services/managed-networks-co...

NOTE: The FTTC 10 Mbps up and down will have speeds dependent on your distance to the street cabinet, and researching that before committing is VERY important. It may be less worth the money is you end up with a 10 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up connection.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bandinfo
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:48:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, that is what I was looking to do too, only really spoken to BT so far. They're currently thought of as a better option, as we've had delays in fixing our phone lines of late courtesy of requests being relayed through a slow third party first. Depends on the company and SLA though I assume (current one was set up before my involvement with such.)

I'll take a look at Timico, thanks for that too. Noted about the FTTC speeds!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to