General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Feb-15 13:10:46
Print Post

new fibre cabinet

[link to this post]

My family live in the countryside back home in Northern Ireland and currently have a flakey connection with NW Electronics.

Over the last few days a new large green cabinet has been installed at the crossroads just along the road from them. The cab is number 12 and the exchange is Ballycastle (NIBT).

Is there any way of working out when it is likely to be enabled? Or is it case of what and see?

Thanks.

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Feb-15 13:23:22
Print Post

Re: new fibre cabinet

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

When I lookup Ballycastle, it says there are 11 cabinets there ... suggesting that number 12 is one of the new infill cabinets that extend the range of the existing ones.

These seem to be "all in one" cabinets, with both a new PCP and a new DSLAM.

Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen too many to have a good feel for how long they take to become ready for service.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Fri 13-Feb-15 14:36:08
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
When I lookup Ballycastle, it says there are 11 cabinets there ... suggesting that number 12 is one of the new infill cabinets that extend the range of the existing ones.

These seem to be "all in one" cabinets, with both a new PCP and a new DSLAM.

Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen too many to have a good feel for how long they take to become ready for service.
Yeah I can only see up to 11 as well, and 11 being the only cabinet without fibre.

Also there are some postcodes without cabinets, however BT DSL Checker just returns the following:
"Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker."

Also do you have any images of the All in One Cabinets? would be nice to see smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Feb-15 15:04:08
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

https://twitter.com/Fastershire/status/4948304785210...

Not clearest picture, but the door proportions are different to usual PSTN and fibre cabs

Andrew

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User McGill_2010
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 20:34:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My brothers the original poster, this is the box that was installed at the end of our road

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/McGill_19870...
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Feb-15 01:39:50
Print Post

[re: McGill_2010] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure that is one of the new 'all in one' cabinets - note the power warning stickers, the vents, the unequal width of the two doors and the painted on cabinet number.

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sat 14-Feb-15 06:57:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
https://twitter.com/Fastershire/status/4948304785210...

Not clearest picture, but the door proportions are different to usual PSTN and fibre cabs

Andrew
Yeah, I was about to say that there is a door ratio difference, I was a bit worried that our new PCP cabinet might of been that type due to the other PCP cabinet across the road looks different, but our new one is most probably the latest version of the PCP cabinet.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sat 14-Feb-15 07:01:19
Print Post

Yeah, they look the same as what Andrew has posted, only difference is the inter-locking part in the middle of the doors, so maybe its only been installed and nothing has been put in it yet.

You can see the difference between the two in this image basically cabinet 12 has a green metal plate where the hardened plastic where the bolt or padlock goes.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Sat 14-Feb-15 07:17:48)

Standard User McGill_2010
(newbie) Sun 15-Feb-15 01:44:31
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yea its literally only just been installed in the last few days, I dunno if anything has been installed yet as Ive not seen any BT vans around it
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sun 15-Feb-15 05:26:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by McGill_2010:
Yea its literally only just been installed in the last few days, I dunno if anything has been installed yet as Ive not seen any BT vans around it
They are probably just getting it ready and letting the concrete settle first, its the same with our new PCP Cabinet which was installed December and has yet to have anything put in it, it also has no block in the middle.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to