General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zamanaz
(newbie) Sat 14-Feb-15 00:51:32
Print Post

Fibre Broadband Availability

[link to this post]

Out of desperation, recently I have contacted BT Openreach to know when I can get fibre optic in my area as it is readily available on the other side of A12 (just straight across). They told me that my address has fallen into the category of homes/businesses that are served directly by my local exchange, or what they call 'Exchange Only Lines.'

Does anyone has any idea about this? What I can do to address this?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Feb-15 01:25:19
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband Availability

[re: zamanaz] [link to this post]

This means your line comes directly from the exchange without going through a cabinet. A cabinet is a pre-requisite for FTTC.

There are cases where lines are re-organised onto a cabinet to provide FTTC or where FTTP is used on Exchange Only lines, but both these are more expensive than providing FTTC service from an existing cabinet. It is possible one of these options will be implemented, maybe using BDUK funding, but this means you are less likely to get a fibre based service from BT Openreach than if you were served from a cabinet that was reasonably close.

It's probably worth talking to your local BDUK project to see if there is any intention to provide your premises with FTTC via network reorganisation or FTTP.

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sat 14-Feb-15 07:30:33
Print Post

[re: zamanaz] [link to this post]

What's your postcode and I will take a look.

But as David_W has said to get FTTC you will be required to be connected to a cabinet, not seen any EO lines get FTTP which doesn't require any cabinets.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Feb-15 09:33:27
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Existing target in Essex is low enough they probably aren't worrying about eo yet in Essex

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to