General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davidjps
(newbie) Sun 15-Feb-15 23:18:34
Print Post

Sky+ HD

[link to this post]

Hi.

I have a good FTTC speed of approximately 72mbs on my Plusnet service.

My problem is when I use my Sky+HD box to download HD programmes it buffers a lot and I have to wait a few minutes for the download to catch up. The Sky box is connected via wifi and this is the only wireless device that has such slow speeds for downloading. Is this a common occurrence for this type of Sky box?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:33:03
Print Post

Re: Sky+ HD

[re: davidjps] [link to this post]

How far away is your modem/router to your Sky Box?

Also have you tried a wired connection?

Paul
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:05:19
Print Post

Is this a Sky box with built in wireless or an older one with the external wireless connector? I tried a wireless connector for a short time at my parents house and it kept on losing the IP address and was just a pain - their broadband was pretty slow anyway so not sure what the throughput was.

If it is an external wireless then I think it is on a lead? If so, have you tried moving the antenna around to try for a stronger signal?

If at all possible connect it wired.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 09:12:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

We are not a fan of the new wireless and wired version of SkyHD Box, they have no phone connection on it, and where we are Multi-Room we have been sent sooooo many emails saying plug them into the phone line.

My rule of thinking is if the device is static where as it doesn't move then its to be wired, mobile devices should we wire less, but that just me.

Paul
Standard User davidjps
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:35:50
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi the connection is about 7ft.. But on the other side of the wall. I cannot connect this box with a wired connection.

I have an older box with a connector supplied by a Sky Engineer. I will try moving the connector around to see if I can get a better speed.

Thanks for all of your replies.

David

Edited by davidjps (Mon 16-Feb-15 10:38:07)

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:39:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by davidjps:
About 7ft.. But on the other side of the wall. I cannot connect this box with a wired connection.

Have you looked to see what else is using the wireless channel? If you have a shared channel it could be that the HD is loading the channel to the point where retries force the throughput down. The wall could be making this worse, depending on construction. If it's brick then it will be worse than a stud wall.

--

Brian

Zen Pro (FTTC ordered)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:40:31
Print Post

A wall if made of the wrong stuff can slow the wireless down a LOT. One way to test is a laptop at the same place as the Sky box and do a speed test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

If you cannot get an Ethernet cable to the location you might find a pair of Devolo Home Plugs will solve the issue, and can then use Ethernet cable. NOTE: Ensure units are plugged into the wall socket not an extension strip.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to