General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pdes
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 10:47:07
Print Post

Does a new Openreach cabinet mean fibre broadband?

[link to this post]

I live in rural South Cambs, approx one mile of O/H to the cabinet. Although I have not been able to find a definitive statement as to whether/when we will get fibre, I noticed that there is a new OpenReach cabinet being installed in the village. (existing is EEAAR). Can I assume that this will be equipped with fibre? How long does it normally take from cabinet installation to being operational with fibre? If fibre is installed, will I need to request it or will it come automatically?

I am with Sky at the moment.

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 11:29:18
Print Post

Re: Does a new Openreach cabinet mean fibre broadband?

[re: pdes] [link to this post]

Presume you mean Arrington which is (EAARR)

The three cabs 1,2 and 4 are pencilled in for FTTC, as for timescales cannot say. Is the new cab one with vent slots in it, then that is a fibre cabinet OR is it a new shell over the old telephone cab?

The former is a very big sign that work is underway, the latter is a good sign but some old street cabinets do get new shells now and then, so less a major sign.

NOTE: It is not uncommon for the various cabinets to go live at different times, rather than all at once, so knowing which is your cabinet is important.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Feb-15 11:46:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by pdes:
If fibre is installed, will I need to request it or will it come automatically?

Nothing will happen automatically. You will need to upgrade to a fibre product with Sky or an alternative ISP.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pdes
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 11:47:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

Yes, Arrington. I didn't realize there were more than one so I don't know which it is.

I noticed the vents but TBH, it was only in passing. I'll take a closer look tonight.

Cheers
Standard User fenlandbroadband
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:03:15
Print Post

http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/parish/arr...

Looking like September to December this year. If you will specifically be covered, who knows. Connecting Cambridgeshire does seem to be getting FTTC out to some fairly remote and previously unlikely places though, so a good chance.

(sensei) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:10:58
Print Post

With 1 mile of cable from you to the cabinet, do not expect to get FTTC with wonderful speeds. At a guess you are probably going to be in the sub-10Mbps range possibly as low as 5 Mbps and it will depend on a lot of factors especially noise which with that length of overhead could be a real issue.

That may be better than you currently get ... just wait and see what the BT DSL checker suggests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User pdes
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:28:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's pretty depressing frown I already get that with ADSL2+
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:42:33
Print Post

All I am saying is don't get your hopes up... although when it happens you might be surprised.

Is there anything, as yet, on: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome or the address option.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:45:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The key is which cabinet are they connected to, it may be they are looking at the location of a different cabinet to the one they are connected to.

When you use the address checker at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html what cabinet does it tell the original poster they are connected to.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 16-Feb-15 14:05:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Maybe, however, the OP does say 1 mile of overhead to the cabinet which I would suggest means they have followed the line.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to