General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wonkychops
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 18:05:49
Print Post

Fibre cables taped to telegraph poles?

[link to this post]

Sorry if the answer to this is elsewhere but I did a search and didn't find anything.
My local exchange has been upgraded to fibre but there is no plans to upgrade my cabinet. Despite this, some 6 weeks ago loops of fiberoptic cable (coming from underground) were taped to alternate (ish) telegraph poles in my village all the way up to my house. Seems odd if Openreach have no plans to upgrade the cabinet. Is it a different way of providing fibre broadband or is it just that someone in the village has ordered FTTP? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 18:38:41
Print Post

Re: Fibre cables taped to telegraph poles?

[re: wonkychops] [link to this post]

Which exchange? Probably FTTP on its way to some parts of the exchange.

The black tubes with yellow stripes will not have fibre in them yet, they are just a tube with lots of little tubes inside through which the fibre is then blown

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wonkychops
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 18:48:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you - that makes sense.
The exchange is Burghill WNBUR. Will be rather irritating to "see" FTTP going right past my front door while I get 3-4Mbps on a good day.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Feb-15 18:51:34
Print Post

Looks likely to be FTTP for some EO lines and maybe those on cabinets 1&4.

NOTE THE MAYBE, the reason being that the plans do not always play out fully and things change.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 19:56:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by wonkychops:
Thank you - that makes sense.
The exchange is Burghill WNBUR. Will be rather irritating to "see" FTTP going right past my front door while I get 3-4Mbps on a good day.
What's your postcode if you don't mind giving that out?

Paul
Standard User wonkychops
(newbie) Mon 16-Feb-15 20:18:47
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

HR4 8LW
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 20:34:59
Print Post

Ok, I have the following:
Exchange Name: Burghill
Exchange Code: WNBUR
Exchange Distance: 2,323m (birds eye view)

Cabinet: 4
Fibre Phase: BDUK H&G 12b
Fibre Information: FTTP Planned (Under Review)

Result Count: 27

[HR4 8LW]
Has 27 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 5.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 3.0 to 7.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 17.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 10.0 to 19.5 (downstream range)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
So we now know what cabinet your on and at the moment is down for FTTP, but like what MrSaffron said, "Things change", but seems that there is not a date set for the FTTP for your address and seems to be currently Under Review.

Paul
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 17-Feb-15 14:16:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by wonkychops:
... loops of fiberoptic cable (coming from underground) were taped to alternate (ish) telegraph poles in my village all the way up to my house. ...

Presumably your copper line is provided by an overhead feed from a pole near your house? Has that pole got a fibre tube coiled up next to it / taped to it?

If so, there's your answer - you'll likely be getting FTTP at some point.
  Print Thread

Jump to