General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 18-Feb-15 16:57:31
Print Post

Mixed Messages

[link to this post]

I am on the Boxford exchange in Suffolk EABFD connected to cabinet 1 which is down to eventually get native FTTP. This was supposed to have happened by Christmas 2014 but this did not happen and I was advised that March 2015 was a reasonable estimate. A lot of work has appeared on roadworks.org but the work has only sometimes actually happened often times not in the real world.
Black fibre cabling was coiled at various poles along my road since last August and ducting was put into a small estate just beyond me but not the last bit into the estate. There are rumours of a way-leave problem for the last bit although the actual ducting was put in a trench in the pavement so I do not understand what the problem is.
Black cabling with a yellow stripe has been strung along poles to the end of the road beyond the last chamber whhich is where cabinet 1 phone connections stop. Today the coiled fibre cable at the bottom of my pole has been attached to the pole ending in a 12 fttp manifold.
However in Boxford itself where the exchange and caqbinet 1 are 400 metres of ducting is due to be put in in June heading towards a different area supplied by cabinet 1.

So questions
1) Does all the whole area due to get FTTP from my cabinet have to be completed before any of it can get fibre?
2) The estate that may well have a way-leave problem is just beyomd me and is fed off another chamber/manifold and could be viewed as a branch off the main run so will this potential way-leave problem cause problems for everybody else, even those not in the estate and which are fed off first?

There is a rumour from some people talking to Openreach workers who were involved in the last bit of work we could have fibre available by April but as I say there are all these other things....... The BT Where and When site just says Under Review while the BetterBroadbandSuffolk site has moved things from March to September along with everybody else who is part of the first phase roll out so not helpful.

Sorry for such a long post, it is just so frustrating not knowing what is going on and when fibre could reasonably be expected!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Feb-15 17:01:06
Print Post

Re: Mixed Messages

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

GEA-FTTP is a GPON architecture so can go live in segments, this can confuse people on the checkers, so tendency is to only say its live when a whole cabinet area is ready to go live.

Very much a case of wait and see.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Wed 18-Feb-15 17:22:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jax2:
So questions
1) Does all the whole area due to get FTTP from my cabinet have to be completed before any of it can get fibre?

I know of a cabinet area (Cab 23 on exchange WWNEWQ) where part of the area can get FTTP and part can't, although the area shows as 'live' for FTTP depending on which address or telephone number you put into the checker.

The addresses which can't get it were initially included in the list as being able to get it even though the tubing and manifolds had not been fitted. Then sometime later they were removed from the list when I reported the situation to Superfast Cornwall who were then supposed to be chasing BT Openreach.

That was at the end of June last year and the addresses are still not on the list of premises able to get FTTP, and there appears to be no movement by Openreach to correct their 'oversight'.

UPDATE: After posting the above I fired off another email in reply to the final one I'd received from SFC last July, telling them the work still hadn't been carried out.

Perhaps I should have checked Roadworks.org first though, because having just done so I've seen that there are telecoms works listed for 18th-20th February along the full length of the street in question, described as "Rolling programme of underground/overhead cable works with potential duct blockages".

Edited by Rastus (Wed 18-Feb-15 17:54:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 18-Feb-15 20:38:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That is very interesting Andrew, so my road could theoretically go live before work on other places in the cabinets footprint is finished but ordering would depend on whether the BT checker shows it is available or not? I suppose it depends on the checker working accurately at actual phone number level
I read somewhere on these forums that once the manifolds are in place like the one on "my" pole then it is a good sign that fibre may become available in a few weeks time like the April time mentioned by the Openreach chap who was putting in the overhead cabling.
After nearly two years since a County Councillor at the Suffolk Show launch of the Suffolk website told me my postcode would be one of the first to get BDUK funded fibre I hardly dare believe it might eventually happen.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Thu 19-Feb-15 03:58:25
Print Post

I live very near you - Boxford has been a BT roadworks site since before Christmas, hasn't it? Whilst I can't supply a date, I think they are stuffing fibre into the ducts there like there's no tomorrow, because BDUK needs to feed Polstead (and Stone street), and Groton, Edwardstone, and everything in between. It's hard to say where the fibre head-end is for Boxford, but I think it's Sudbury. Old exchange alliances are out of the window for fibre: I even sent Samknows a picture of me inside the Boxford exchange, but if you look it up on there, they still insist it's in Castle Park, central Colchecter.

They're still at it, it seems. In short: You're getting it. I've watched the various roadworks there for about a year now, and they're basically doing "everywhere" in Boxford. Whether the fibre head-end is in Sudbury, Hadleigh, or Colchester (I think it's the latter), they've already stripped the Boxford exchange out in anticipation of it. But again, old exchange alliances don't mean anything any more: for example, Hadleigh is supplying Bildeston with fibre now,

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Thu 19-Feb-15 04:13:39)

Standard User Jax2
(regular) Thu 19-Feb-15 12:23:36
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Thanks for your interesting reply. Yes a lot has been going on recently and apparently accelerating which is good in the sense things are happening. I notice that more new ducts are being put in up Cox Hill in June too so there is plenty more to come. Just want it as soon as possible hence the question about might I be able to get things in my particular area before work is finished elsewhere.
By the way I have been told from a couple of different sources that the fibre hub we will be fed from is the one in Ipswich via Hadleigh.
  Print Thread

Jump to