General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Feb-15 14:54:42
Print Post

PLAXTOL exchange BDUK messed up by Gigaclear?

[link to this post]

I have a friend connected to PLAXTOL exchange in Kent.

Originally it looked like they would get FTTC via BDUK.
Kent CC's postcode checker estimated September 2014 (still does!).

Samknows also used to show that as a RFS date - this has now gone to 'not available'.

Openreach Where and When - says coming soon as it has been saying for most of last year.

I'm guessing that the local Gigaclear project nearby has made KCC suspend the BDUK spend as there is some local commercial activity. Gigaclear's own rollout seems to be well behind it's initial forecast - and more importantly won't cover my friend's property!

If anyone has any further info or advice it would be appreciated smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Feb-15 15:00:18
Print Post

Re: PLAXTOL exchange BDUK messed up by Gigaclear?

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

All depends on what communication has gone on between Gigaclear and KCC as part of BDUK process

Usually rumour is that if an alt-net arrives then BT pull out all the stops to get to the area, so maybe this is the one exception, or people are overstating overlaps elsewhere.

Does Gigaclear has a roll-out map that can then be used to line up with cabinet coverage.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Feb-15 15:15:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think they used to. Their current website only shows a very high level map! http://www.gigaclear.com/discover-gigaclear/where-we...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Thu 19-Feb-15 15:24:20
Print Post

From what I can see, Cabinets 1 & 5 are being covered by BT's Commercial Programme and due by March 2015.

I cannot see anything under BDUK for that exchange.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Feb-15 15:41:41
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.
Where are you seeing that info, any link?

Thanks.

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:08:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Thanks for that.
Where are you seeing that info, any link?

Thanks.
I can see the following:

Exchange Name: Plaxtol
Exchange Code: NDPLA
County: Kent

EO Lines possibly to move over to Cabinet 4.

Cabinet: 1
Fibre Phase: Phase 12b 2014-2015
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 27th January 2012)

Cabinet: 2
Fibre Phase: None
Fibre Information: Fibre Not Available

Cabinet: 3

Cabinet: 4

Cabinet: 5
Fibre Phase: Phase 12b 2014-2015
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 27th January 2012)
As for where I am getting this information from, I use a few places but this is the main site: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk

Hope that helps.

Paul
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:14:39
Print Post

The Kent post code checker is not much use as it just uses post code sectors. i.e. the last two digits of the post code are omitted. For me it now shows Gigaclear.

The Seal cabinet to which I am connected was not upgraded to FTTC most likely because of the Gigaclear project. As there are about 5km of mostly aluminium cable between it and my house an upgrade would not have done me any good.

How far is your friend from the nearest property to be connected to the Gigaclear network? I would expect there to be some flexibility particularly if there were several properties who would sign up.

Michael Chare
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:21:41
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - I haven't come across or seen that website mentioned before - lots of interesting info! smile

Some of the dates seem a bit strange? 2012 kept popping up - that seems hard to believe.

That's the first time I've seen the cabinet locations plotted like that - very good!

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:28:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Thanks for that - I haven't come across or seen that website mentioned before - lots of interesting info! smile

Some of the dates seem a bit strange? 2012 kept popping up - that seems hard to believe.

That's the first time I've seen the cabinet locations plotted like that - very good!
Well in this case the "(exchange ready 27th January 2012)" I think is when your exchange was ready for the cabinets, however I may be told I am wrong tongue.

As for the cabinet locations on the map (not too sure if that's their real location), well that's the first time I have seen them LOL, I have seen the postcodes location, didn't think of looking for cabinet locations smile

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 19-Feb-15 16:30:34)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Feb-15 16:30:13
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
How far is your friend from the nearest property to be connected to the Gigaclear network? I would expect there to be some flexibility particularly if there were several properties who would sign up.
Quite a distance. When Gigaclear arrived on the scene there seemed to be more info around from them. But they weren't intending to initially cover my friend's property.

Going by the info others have provided it seems BT haven't abandoned things. Properties are well spaced out though so I'm still not sure what the uplift will be even if/when it arrives (FTTC) as the cabinet is some distance away.

Using the TBB FTTC distance from cabinet calculator my own speed didn't work out as high as expected.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to