General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aftermath99
(newbie) Fri 20-Feb-15 14:43:10
Print Post

My exchange is FTTC enabled, but not my cabinet

[link to this post]

All,

Apologies as I know this has probably been asked before for different places, but the wait (over 18 months) is driving me bonkers.

My exchange, Putney, has been fttc enabled. I know this because my co-worker who lives in the same area has BT Infinity, but he's on a different cabinet (Cabinet 46).

Is there any way to check when/if my cabinet( Cabinet 39 ) will be enabled or replaced to enable FTTC?

cheers
Fred
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Feb-15 15:27:55
Print Post

Re: My exchange is FTTC enabled, but not my cabinet

[re: aftermath99] [link to this post]

No evidence of involvement in the commercial roll-out, which is pretty much what you are reliant on due to the high availability of FTTC and cable services.

The forthcoming Virgin Media expansion might arrive in the next couple of years, or the extra £50m that Openreach is using for some urban infill, but no published plans yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 20-Feb-15 16:27:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew,

It's just a bit annoying that the exchange is ready to go, but the last bit (ie. the cabinet) is not done. Has anyone ever funded that themselves/gotten their council involved?

cheers
Fred

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Feb-15 16:31:18
Print Post

There are some local examples over this way of communities getting there (secondary) cabs upgraded, at a cost of around £30,000.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Feb-15 17:48:59
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

London councils have as yet showed little interest because no money has come down from Westminster

If Virgin Media network is available very close, then a high chance of their expansion covering area and might dissuade any local council efforts, which would also have to go through the complex EU State Aid processes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 11:43:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Any alternatives for people like me? Are leased line or 4G the only other way to get fast(er) broadband?
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Mon 23-Feb-15 12:22:59
Print Post

Im in a similar position and can only get 2.5mbit ADSL.

I have two ADSL lines and use http://sharedband.com/ to join them together. It works well, just ends up being very expensive but until I get FTTC I don't really have any other options.
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 15:49:16
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think a while back, BE unlimited had line bonding as well. Sounds like a good alternative and definitely worth looking into!

cheers
Fred
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 16:01:00
Print Post

Well we use to have 2 ADSL2+ lines, 1: BT Unlimited and 2: BE Unlimited -> Sky Pro.
Man I miss BE, was great until Sky got their hands on it.

We use to use both connections for downloading our Games here that's on Steam and also keeping our battlenet Games up to date.

We use no 3rd party apps nor did we pay for any services like bonding.

TBH I was shocked it actually worked, all we did is add two gateways to our computers (ended up writing an app) to switch between connections or use both.
But we went from 2 lots of 5Mbps to about 10Mbps.

The bad side of this was we needed to have an internal static IP (no DHCP) so that it didn't try to change back to use the gateway it used, also not everything work with it, like normal browsing and downloading etc would just use a single connection, but that was fine for us.

Sadly Sky connection had gotten worse and we ended up getting rid, so now only BT.

Paul
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Mon 23-Feb-15 19:47:10
Print Post

The good thing about Shareband is you can have connections with different providers so can get two separate deals.

Im pretty pleased with mine, means I can actually stream stuff in HD.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to