General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Sat 21-Feb-15 10:12:28
Print Post

DSLChecker estimate nosedive

[link to this post]

When checking both my phone number and address, my FTTC clean estimate down has gone from: 17-11.3 to 6.6-2.9. The upstream estimates have stayed the same, as have the ADSLMax.

I checked a friend who was predicted 80-63 before, who now gets 74-54 as a prediction. Another predicted a maximum of 80, still has 80 as the max, but all the other estimates have dropped, as well as an ADSL 2+ drop.

Have they toughened the database? This prediction provides confirmation I'm predicted to get less than 15, whereas before they said 17>15, bad luck

Edited by Pedrostech (Sat 21-Feb-15 10:23:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Feb-15 12:13:16
Print Post

Re: DSLChecker estimate nosedive

[re: Pedrostech] [link to this post]

The estimates will vary based on feedback from active links or periodic fixes to the underlying data, so things can change.

So its something that goes on all the time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Feb-15 12:24:55
Print Post

I've just checked mine and the FTTC estimates have gone down significantly as well, as Andrew says, it's an ongoing process.

Clean is now 77.6/57.9/20/18.9
Impacted is now 70/41.3/20/12.2

I can't remember exactly what they were before. Currently syncing at 66969/19999 but with an SNR margin of only 3.7dB that probably won't last.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Sat 21-Feb-15 15:09:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My line is syncing at about 14.5mbps though, so I wouldn't expect it to drop to 6.6mbps. The colossal speed drop is only for the people on my copper DP. Those on lines much further from the cab have dropped much less/stayed much the same as before, meaning they're predicted significantly more than me!

Checked even more addresses and there's quite a few cases now where predictions fall some way below what people are actually getting...hmm

Edited by Pedrostech (Sat 21-Feb-15 15:15:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Feb-15 15:36:04
Print Post

Hence why it is called a prediction or estimate, i.e. it is not a promise written in stone.

i.e. these things while they can be estimated cannot be really known until you actually enable the service on a specific line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to