General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ngolian
(learned) Sun 22-Feb-15 15:39:03
Print Post

Flexibility of installation

[link to this post]

I'm dissatisifed with Virgin's reliability so I want to switch to a FTTC provider, probably Plusnet. I used to have a BT line so I presume the installers will want to reuse the existing physical connection. The trouble is the master socket is in a different room from where I want the router. Are installers usually willing and able to install the necessary cabling so a customer can have the router installed wherever they want?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:21:12
Print Post

Re: Flexibility of installation

[re: ngolian] [link to this post]

Nothing to stop you running a deficated data extension to the other room from a vdsl faceplate. If it will be an engineer install then ask for data extension kit.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:23:12
Print Post

[re: ngolian] [link to this post]

With Plusnet you still get the original type of two-box installation, not a combined modem/router. If you are happy for the modem (needing a power socket) to be close to the master socket, then you would need to buy a suitable length of Ethernet cable to connect it to the router wherever you want that, (Up to 100 cable-metres).

If you want the modem to be where you want the router you have to order the "Data Extension Cable", (also called the "Home Wiring Solution"). It's free but Plusnet do not order it unless requested. I believe that if you order online it is an option during the process.

This allows a data socket for the modem to be located where you want it. The standard maximum length is 30 metres. Theoretically it could be longer but initially there was a standard cable of that length, that Openreach carried for such orders.

It is also possible for an exterior grade cable to be used as a data extension cable if you and the engineer agree that is sensible and practicable. If you get a subcontractor such as Kelly's or Quinn's I wouldn't rate your chances of that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.1Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Feb-15 11:07:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
...a deficated data extension...
They sound sh.. bad wink

Print Thread

Jump to