General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cyberbob187
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 16:58:34
Print Post

low fibre speed estimate on recent exchange upgrade

[link to this post]

Wilstead exchange in Bedford has just been upgraded to Fibre and after a couple of weeks it appears my cabinet is now live (cabinet 14)
However I can only get unlimited faster broadband - clean 18mb impacted 15mb - Bt Infinity is not available -
By the crow I am 280 metres from the cabinet and by various other routes I couldn't be more than 400m - This is a brand new estate so I expect the cables to be pretty good. I get nearly 8mb on DSL from the exchange at present, the top end of the DSL estimate.
The graph regarding speed and distance suggests a speed of 40-45mb - so I cannot see why I would only be able to obtain a max of 18mb - been a big let down after all that waiting - my postcode is MK42 6AG - if anyone can explain why its so low? I have ordered it anyway as the price is no different to what I get at the moment. Any chance it will be higher than the estimate -
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:38:15
Print Post

Re: low fibre speed estimate on recent exchange upgrade

[re: cyberbob187] [link to this post]

If you are in peacock gardens then then based on other estimates for other postcodes in area e.g. KINGFISHER ROAD, WIXAMS, BEDFORD, MK42 6AY on Exchange WILSTEAD is served by Cabinet 14 which gives 76 Mbps as maximum then either estimate is wrong or it is possible the ducting goes down one side of the road to the end of brooklands avenue and back up the other, doubling the distance.

If the checker is wrong then it won't limit your speed, though by the sounds of it you've ordered the FTTC (not infinity) BT Retail product, so will be capped to up to 40 Mbps connection speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 17:48:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thank you - I guess I'll find out next Friday - I wouldn't be surprised if the ducting double-backed on itself-
just checked more postcodes and addresses and it looks like I am towards the end of the loop so the speed estimate is probably accurate- oh well - maybe virgin will lay some cable

Edited by cyberbob187 (Sun 22-Feb-15 18:18:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ip75
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 20:42:47
Print Post

My line had a problem with the estimate like this - the top FTTC range A estimate was 46, but looking at the line length from the cabinet, of just over 200m, this didn't add up. And indeed, once I was connected I was synced at (a capped) 40Mbps with a 30dB+ noise margin, so I think there is bad data being fed into whatever generates the estimate. So it is certainly possible that you could get a better speed than predicted.

Just out of interest, what is your line attenuation and noise margin on ADSL currently? We might be able to glean something about the length of your line from that.
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 21:22:39
Print Post

[re: ip75] [link to this post]

I'm not at home for the moment away at work I have some old stats from 2011 that may give you an idea - I can post newer ones later this week.
Line state
Connected
Connection time
2 days, 3:41:30
Downstream
6,912 Kbps
Upstream
448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI
0/38
Type
PPPoA
Modulation
ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type
Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)
6.4 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)
41.0 dB / 23.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)
19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)
Loss of Signal (Local)
Loss of Power (Local)
FEC Errors (Down/Up)
11267213 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)
180 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)
nil / 1
Error Seconds (Local)

I think the figures are not too different - they maybe better as I had an external NTE which has now been bypassed so I get nearer 7-8mb download
Standard User ip75
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 21:32:43
Print Post

So an attenuation of 41 dB indicates a line length of 3km in total. If you can estimate the distance from the exchange to the cabinet (by road is the best way I think) you can subtract that to get a (very) rough idea of the line length to the cabinet. Obviously it's pretty inexact, but it might be enough to show whether or not your estimate of 400m is likely to be accurate.
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 21:33:03
Print Post

I found some more recent ones sept 2014 -

> adsl info --stats
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 8000
Max: Upstream rate = 1008 Kbps, Downstream rate = 6452 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 443 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5347 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2
TPS-TC: ATM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 14.4 24.7
Attn(dB): 40.0 23.6
Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.6
ADSL2 framing
MSGc: 59 12
B: 167 13
M: 1 1
T: 1 4
R: 0 0
S: 0.9992 0.9911
L: 1345 113
D: 1 1
Counters
SF: 4423834 264921
SFErr: 137 0
RS: 0 0
RSCorr: 0 0
RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 104 0
OCD: 3 0
LCD: 0 0
Total Cells: 906049027 75047036
Data Cells: 28015344 3624473
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

I had an issue with the internal wiring after these stats so there should be an improvement on this now but if you can tell line length from these then I dont expect it to give too much of a difference for newer figures.
Standard User ip75
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 21:42:24
Print Post

The attenuation is about the same, which is basically the main indicator of line length. So I'd say assume 3km. The FTTC estimate you have implies a line length to the cabinet of over 1km, so if the distance from exchange to cabinet is over, say, 2.5km then you might strongly suspect that the estimate is wrong.
(newbie) Sun 22-Feb-15 21:44:17
Print Post

Exchange to cabinet is about 2.4km via google - so line length is about 600m by my estimate - we shall see on friday - thanks for the information .
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 13:10:31
Print Post

Your about the same sort of length from your exchange as we are, the last time I checked we was getting about 42dB attenuation for our ADSL2+ connection, we are about 3.5km from our exchange and our PCP Cabinet is about 470m from our home.

I have done a quick check for the addresses for your postcode and I have got the following:
Exchange Name: Wilstead
Exchange Code: SMWLS

Cabinet: 14
Fibre Phase: BDUK Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes 13a
Fibre Information: FTTC Planned (exchange ready 14th October 2011)
Result Count: 17

[MK42 6AG]
Has 17 result(s) connected to Cabinet 14 with FTTC with approximate speeds around the following:
Range A: 11.6 -> 19.7 (downstream) 0.8 -> 1.3 (upstream)
Range B: 6.4 -> 16.5 (downstream) 0.6 -> 1.3 (upstream)

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
I say that's bad for a line distance of 600m from your home to the Fibre Cabinet, but what do I know.

However if its the same price that your paying for ADSL Max then it "may be" worth moving over to it, sure your only getting an extra 1Mbps up to 13Mbps more, but it mounts up.

Hopefully this information BT's DSL Checker has is wrong and will correct over time.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to