General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mstrom
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 14:58:20
Print Post

No Fibre in London NW11 for office but nearby cabinets have

[link to this post]

Similar to the discussion in the thread about Only cabinet in the area not upgraded - help!, we cannot get Fibre on our office although I've seen cabinets in nearby streets marked with the "Fibre is here!" sticker.

Here's the information from BT's availability checker:

Telephone Number 0208455xxxx (redacted) on Exchange GOLDERS GREEN is served by Cabinet 23

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 16 -- 14 to 18 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 16 Up to 1 14 to 18 Available
ADSL Max Up to 6.5 -- 5.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

This is a subburbian London postcode and I would have though Fibre would have reached all cabinets by now.

It looks like we're going to go with Virgin, which is a shame as our office needs decent upload speeds.

Could this just be a database error?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Feb-15 15:19:58
Print Post

Re: No Fibre in London NW11 for office but nearby cabinets h

[re: mstrom] [link to this post]

i reckon no suitable location could be found so it was removed from the upgrade program
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 15:40:30
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
i reckon no suitable location could be found so it was removed from the upgrade program
Couldn't BTOR replace the current PCP Cabinet with a "all in one" PCP/Fibre cabinet, I think they may be the same sort of size if not a little bit larger.

The only downside would be that the lines may get disrupted while being upgraded.

Or am I missing something here?

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Feb-15 16:06:20
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I susspect the boat had long since sailed before all in ones became available, which only seem to be for e/o conversions
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 16:18:49
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
I susspect the boat had long since sailed before all in ones became available, which only seem to be for e/o conversions
Yeah, seems that way, just looked and seems that all their cabinets (excluding several cabinets) got upgraded, not sure what happened to the dozen or so EO Lines, don't really want to check every address for all of its 1,366 postcodes crazy would take a few hours to do (automated), so sod that grin

Paul
Standard User mstrom
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 19:20:14
Print Post

OP here.

Our line is not an Exchange-Only line. I know this because it was installed only 3 years ago and I was present when they ran the line from the cabinet (well actually from the junction box above a shop next to the cabinet which is based some 30-50 yards from our offices).

A second line to a office we sublet (which doesn't host our internet) was installed a year later and was run from a "manhole" in the pavement just outside our office instead of from the cabinet down the road.

Our number is 02084556147.

Would really appreciate any pointers how to get us Fibre enabled, especially as I'm having having trouble with getting anything that meets our requirements from Virgin Media cable (see this other thread of ours).
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 23-Feb-15 19:43:29
Print Post

[re: mstrom] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mstrom:
Our line is not an Exchange-Only line. I know this because it was installed only 3 years ago and I was present when they ran the line from the cabinet (well actually from the junction box above a shop next to the cabinet which is based some 30-50 yards from our offices).
I never said you was on one, I was talking about the "all in one" cabinets to Ribble thinking that if there was no place to install a FTTC Cabinet next to your PCP Cabinet then an "All in One" cabinet may of worked, but Ribble said that they are mostly used for EO Lines conversions, not lines already connected to PCP Cabinets, where I agreed.

A second line to a office we sublet (which doesn't host our internet) was installed a year later and was run from a "manhole" in the pavement just outside our office instead of from the cabinet down the road.

Our number is 02084556147.
That line also goes to cabinet 23, so that manhole leads to cabinet 23.

Would really appreciate any pointers how to get us Fibre enabled, especially as I'm having having trouble with getting anything that meets our requirements from Virgin Media cable (see this other thread of ours).
We are also in the same boat for FTTP which we was suppose to of had installed back in 2011 where it was partly completed, but was told via email from BTOR that I should see something happen after end of February, so cross fingers.
However we may have VM to fall back on if BTOR fails to install our fibre, this is if VM gets planning permission to install their cabinets down our road.
We live in a conservation area, so things are hard to get done here.

For you, have you tried to email or contact BTOR (BT Openreach) ?
That's what I did, and I got a reply within 2 working days.

Paul
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Feb-15 21:35:00
Print Post

I'd suggest the only way at present to get openreach on board would be to try and get a community funded native FTTP service as FTTC seems to be a non starter.
  Print Thread

Jump to