General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dparr59
(committed) Tue 24-Feb-15 23:24:33
Print Post

VDSL / wire internal or use Cat5 outside Which gives best

[link to this post]

I live in a bungalow the master socket is front of property, But i use Computer in Bedroom at back of Property, So i know the shortest route would be to install wiring inside .
But would like to install going from front, down side of property and entering round back.
I already have an outside extension 2 twisted pairs wired in to the master using just the A/B on a Bt VDSL socket.

The new installed fibre cabinet in only 200 meters from me ( just outside the exchange moving from EO hopefully soon )

Would a cat5 wired from the socket be better?
And if use cat5 so how would i connect to the master,
1, just plug in to the top VDSL socket ( is the top socket for internal wiring only )
2, just use the A/B connection ?

Thanks

David

plusnet 20 Meg
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Feb-15 00:19:39
Print Post

Re: VDSL / wire internal or use Cat5 outside Which gives bes

[re: dparr59] [link to this post]

Your existing setup will work just as I assume it does with ADSLx. Whether that is better than Cat 5 in your case, (being so close to the cabinet and assuming the cable from it comes fairly directly to you - not a hundred metres up the opposite side of the street and back down your side to you), partly depends on the type of installation. Some ISPs now just send you a modem/router as in most ADSLx setups. Others still have an engineer installation of the modem and you have a separate router.

In the latter case having the modem at the master socket and Cat 5 to the router where you are is better than having both the modem and router at your end. The two are connected using Ethernet and your existing wiring isn't ideal for that.

Which ISP are you thinking of for FTTC?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User dparr59
(committed) Wed 25-Feb-15 04:17:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nearest Power supply to use a modem from the master is a seven feet away and would stand out.( no where to hid cables )
Thats why i was looking to move it

My son had fibre installed and BT installed a data extension upstairs and connected the modem there ,Was looking to do the same thing my self so that all BT had to do was plug the modem in and job done.

im on ADSL2+ and get around 19-20 meg

Hopefully Going with plusnet for FTTC when confirmed ready ( Openreach have just installed new Cabinet & Fibre Cabinet last week looks like all it needs is someone to connect it all up.

plusnet 20 Meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Feb-15 06:44:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by dparr59:
Openreach have just installed new Cabinet & Fibre Cabinet last week looks like all it needs is someone to connect it all up.

Often, siting the cabinet is the first task in enabling the cabinet. The likelihood is that Openreach and their contractors have still got to:

* install tie pairs between the FTTC cabinet and the existing cabinet
* connect the FTTC cabinet to power
* connect the FTTC cabinet to the fibre network

Installation of the tie pairs is usually straightforward. However, it is far from unusual for the power connection to prove more difficult than expected. If blocked ducts are found when installing the fibre network to the cabinet, that can show things down significantly.

Hopefully all will run smoothly. I just wanted to point out that the likelihood is that lots of work remains to be done, with the attendant possibility of unexpected difficulties.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Wed 25-Feb-15 08:36:00
Print Post

Re: VDSL / wire internal or use Cat5 outside Which gives bes *DELETED*

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Realalemadrid
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 25-Feb-15 09:06:10
Print Post

Assuming the 200m is actual cable run distance.

Using the installed extension cabling will work. However, depending on what is on the other side of the wall you may find there is the potential for interference.

You say it is two twisted pairs - I assume it is classed as 'phone cable, however, is it external grade? If not, it can break down quite quickly and give you problems.

Changing to Cat5e is unlikely to be significantly better - however if you have run ordinary internal cable at present then external Cat5e should be the replacement of choice, again connected to A/B. You could also run a voice pair too.

The BEST option however, is to have the modem installed close to the master and then run external Cat5e from a new RJ45 socket adjacent to the modem to a socket where you work and then use a patch lead to connect the router/hub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 25-Feb-15 09:06:55
Print Post

Given the circumstances, then I think it will not make that significant a difference provided that, as stated, the connection wiring is twisted pair. Cat5 cabling is better of course, but it's not so much better for VDSL that's it's worth ripping out unless the run is very long or performance is marginal.

In any event, there's an easy test. Simply make a temporary connection using the test socket (thereby disconnecting the extensions of course). Record the connection statistics. Then put the wiring back to normal, connect at the extension socket and then compare the statistics with those when connected via the test socket. If the degree of signal degradation, maximum connection speed etc. are still OK and haven't deteriorated significantly, then just leave it. It there is an issue, that's the time to worry about changing things.

nb. the Ethernet extension route can still, of course, be used with a combined router/modem. You just end up with just one port at the extension unless you install a switch of course.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 25-Feb-15 10:48:33
Print Post

As you already have the wiring in use I suggest you just stick with it for now.

When the engineer attends ask for a Huawei modem if he has one, rather than the ECI he may bring in from his van. The Huawei is easily unlocked (by flashing in tweaked firmware) to get full line stats, the ECI a pig requiring soldering work inside it.

If you order the data extension cable then the engineer may even replace your existing external wiring with the external cable (carried as van stock) if he isn't happy with yours.

Do you connect a phone (not VOIP) in the back room off the existing arrangement?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User dparr59
(committed) Wed 25-Feb-15 14:23:43
Print Post

No phone wired just a dect phone plugged into mains,
The whole cable run from front to back of property is around 10-15 meters only and is rated external cable
Looking at a Billion BiPAC 8800NL VDSL2/ADSL2+ is it better than a BT one.
My son's modem broke down he was 3 days without fibre , so may buy it as a backup ( you never know )

plusnet 20 Meg
  Print Thread

Jump to