General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User schander
(regular) Thu 26-Feb-15 20:52:55
Print Post

Re: Fibre in cab - BDUK funding still required?

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

This is alot of information - Thank you.
In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I used "fibre gubbins" as a catchall, as we can't be sure exactly what is required in your particular manhole.

What is needed through the cabinet area amounts to:
- A fibre spine, made up of a chain of aggregation nodes, routing back to the head end.
One of the aggregation nodes will be designated as the connection point for your cabinet area. They are likely to lie on the existing E-side copper routes, and close to some, if not all, PCPs.

The engineers said that cab 49T was the spine and that they were installing 'fibre 96' or something.
- Fibre(s) connecting to the Aggregation Node
- Those fibres will run to a splitter node, or a chain of splitter nodes, in your cabinet area.
These fibre will likely be in COF-201 mini-cable; this multi-strand cable can be blown down ducting, but individual fibres are not blown in BFT in this part of the network.
- Splitter node(s) located in some of the manholes
A splitter node can supply up to 128 properties.

Interestingly their are approx 120 properties that would be served by the cab. If the information I got from Mr Saffron is to go by.
- Fibre from the splitter node to a Fibre Distribution Point.
This fibre is probably physically similar to that above.
- Fibre DP located in a manhole relatively close to you
A fibre DP can supply up to 20 or 24 properties.
- BFT from the fibre DP to a 12-tube or 7-tube manifold
- Manifold located in a manhole very close to you, or at the top of a pole.

When you order, the BFT gets extended from the manifold to your house, and individual fibres get blown from the Fibre DP through the BFT into an external splice point - a small box on the outside of your house.

That is slightly contrary to what MrSaffron says - he mentions that fibre is blown as far as the manifold before you order, which would imply that a splice is done in the manifold. My belief is that the manifold will only hold an airtight joint in the BFT, not a splice (unlikely at the top of a pole) and that fibre will only be blown through that joint (from the Fibre DP) after you have placed your order.

As you can see, there is quite a lot of infrastructure that needs to be in place ... and what you have seen in the manhole could be a splitter node, fibre DP or a manifold. A "really big end cap" sounds more likely to be a splitter node, than anything else. I guess it depends on your definition of "really big".

Again thank you for the wealth of information. Lets see what OpenReach do, if anything, mostly likely, they will sit on it and wait for BDUK/Council to cough up more cash.

Satpal
Standard User godsell4
(regular) Fri 27-Feb-15 07:10:14
Print Post

Found this document, gave a lot of images and description of 'what goes in the ground'. Found it as I did not what some of of your TLA's were, such as BFT. wink

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/conne...

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Feb-15 12:32:00
Print Post

[re: schander] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by schander:
The engineers said that cab 49T was the spine and that they were installing 'fibre 96' or something.

The cable used for the spine (exchange to Aggregation Nodes) seems to be known as COF200, and can come with a varying number of fibres within - but always in multiples of 12, up to 288 fibres.

The mini-cable used beyond that (from aggregation node to splitter nodes, and on to Fibre DP) is known as COF201, and comes in sizes up to 144, but again with multiples of 12.

96 is a valid fibre count in both options.

Each group of 12 fibres comes within its own tube inside the cable, and the group seems to be called a "fibre element"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Feb-15 12:34:26
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by godsell4:
Found this document, gave a lot of images and description of 'what goes in the ground'. Found it as I did not what some of of your TLA's were, such as BFT. wink

Ooops - sorry.

If you really want details, take a look at this thread
Standard User schander
(regular) Fri 27-Feb-15 16:41:35
Print Post

Whoa thats alot of info.

Thanks
Satpal
In reply to a post by godsell4:

Ooops - sorry.

If you really want details, take a look at this thread
Standard User schander
(regular) Mon 20-Apr-15 14:51:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread.
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What exist hardware was in the manhole, you can ID it using http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/ which has everything they shove in the ground for a FTTP roll-out.

I recently got a look at what was in the manhole and I can confirm it was this although mounted horizontally. Not sure if it's going help with roll out timings frown

Cheers
Satpal
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 16:40:12
Print Post

[re: schander] [link to this post]

Yeah, we have the same in our BT pit (it folds over) and have done since end of 2011, yet we are still waiting for our fibre, only difference is we are part of Greater London so we are not covered by any BDUK funding frown

Actually if I recall we have what looks like this one IMG_4351.JPG in out BT pit by our pole i.e. its like a rectangle black box that rotates and can be pulled up.
When I last saw our fibre manifold back in end of 2011 it had 20 odd plastic layers, so I assume it supports up to that amount of homes which is about right for the homes connected to our pole.

The round one I think is the Aggregation Node, but I may be wrong.

Edited by PaulKirby (Mon 20-Apr-15 16:54:53)

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Apr-15 19:43:53
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Yours was probably the last one on this page:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4375161-fib...

IIRC, it covers 24 homes.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 22:45:26
Print Post

Yeah, if I recall it looks like the one on page 3, paragraph 3.6 (FDP), its been 3.5 years since I last saw it, I know its not the round version (Aggregation Node) I think that one is one of BT's pit at the junction off the main road, BT did some work on that the end of February.
Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 21-Apr-15 10:56:37
Print Post

Thanks for the links. It looks like it's an aggregation node.
However the engineer that was there at the time I saw it, was a little dubious about FTTH, as he thought the ducting around our part of the estate was a little tight (sharp bends).

Satpal
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to