General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Feb-15 22:37:40
Print Post

power cut within 10 ten day training

[link to this post]

It seems like I have had a power cut today while out, display on UPs on computer is flashing charging and that only happens after a power cut. so i am in the second day of my 10 day FTTC training. Now is that power cut going to make a difference? It must have been off for at least 10 mins as the Pc shut down and restarted, and that only happens after 10 mins as long as the monitor is not on at the same time, which it was not.

Thanks peeps.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User MrDiode
(newbie) Wed 25-Feb-15 22:47:38
Print Post

Re: power cut within 10 ten day training

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

There is no such thing as a 10 day training period for FTTC the line is wide open for 2 days and the DLM will then take control on the 3rd day.

So your power cut will make no difference to your line.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 25-Feb-15 23:08:18
Print Post

yep is no training, you know your connection speed? curious.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 25-Feb-15 23:33:42
Print Post

[re: MrDiode] [link to this post]

2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly manages lines to maintain a target link quality (speed and stability). It does this for as long as the product exists.

At provision, the line is put on “wide open” VDSL2 line profiles allowing the upstream and downstream line speeds to run at the upper limit of the product option selected.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected. Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.

If DLM intervenes it will set a profile with a maximum rate and a minimum rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Feb-15 00:38:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I am confused, not hard at the moment, medical treatment is seeing to that again.
One person say one thing and another says another, BT man say about the ten day test.

connection speed is not that great at the moment.

test from think broadband speed test

Bt speed test more or less say the same thing

I can't do anything until the ten days are up anyway, so I just wait.

It gone up from when it was first acitvated, by about 10 Mb/s i am not bothered about speed as such, but my Neighbour is with BT and gets at least 25, I would be happy with that.

Still at least I could watch netflix in HD this evening, something I have not be able to do for weeks.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-Feb-15 01:05:00
Print Post

Are you testing wired or wireless? Seeing as that looks poor you must do it wired.

Also, do you log in on the Main Site? It's a separate login, but you can use the same username and password. I think that's what makes it do the double graph result. Like you see on most here. It also stores a history of your results, which could be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User krisk7
(newbie) Thu 26-Feb-15 03:22:51
Print Post

What product are you on? 80/20?

The 10 Day on FTTC is hearsay and mixed as some say it does and others don't. I go with it doesn't apply at all.

Just don't keep disconnecting the VDSL if you can help it, a few reboots here and there are okay but not in quick successions.

Check what line profile is set here:-

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

More of a accurate and better speed tests out there I reckon here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

Edited by krisk7 (Thu 26-Feb-15 03:24:12)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 26-Feb-15 07:45:58
Print Post

the 10 day training is a myth, whether or not you get told that due to bad training or as a fob off who knows.

One can argue a line should be given time to settle e.g. a day or two for DLM to act on a poor line, but thats as far as I would push it.

If you relying on a speedtest to know your connection speed, then it should be done wired.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Feb-15 08:44:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Different tester actually, anons get access to both. Registered just have flash but can goto http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest which adjusts to phone, tablet screen size

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 26-Feb-15 08:58:57
Print Post

The DSLAM sees two different loss of connection:

A loss of sync normally through either, noise or physical loss of link - bad joint, or cables being pulled out for example

Power down - where the modem looses power and cannot maintain the link.

With the latter, the modem should use the last reserves of power to send a "last gasp" message telling the DSLAM that is what has happened and any DLM type application or training period (not on BT but maybe in other countries) will normally ignore the loss of sync.

When power is restored you are likely to get an odd sync speed or SNR due to numerous modems coming on line at the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to