General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Sun 01-Mar-15 08:22:15
Print Post

East Bridgford, Cabinet 4

[link to this post]

My brother has just moved to a newish property in Newton, Nottinghamshire. The fixed line broadband situation is somewhat poor (1.5Mbps). According the the BTOR checker his line is on cabinet 4. Can anyone please help locate the cabinet? Also, if anyone has any further info regarding its FTTC status that would be super helpful too!

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sun 01-Mar-15 12:06:21
Print Post

Re: East Bridgford, Cabinet 4

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

Well I have just looked up Cabinet 4 for exchange East Bridgford and found the following:
Exchange Name: East Bridgford
Exchange Code: EMEASTB
County: Nottinghamshire

Cabinet: 4
Fibre Phase: BDUK Nottinghamshire 14a
Fibre Information: FTTP Planned
Result Count: 154

[NG13 8HF]
Has 2 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 0.8 to 2.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 1.5 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 1.0 to 2.5 (downstream range)

[NG13 8ZH]
Has 19 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Worst): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 0.8 to 2.5 (downstream range)
ADSLx (Best): Up to 1.5 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 1.0 to 2.5 (downstream range)

[NG13 8ZJ]
Has 35 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Best): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 0.8 to 2.5 (downstream range)

[NG13 8ZL]***
Has 11 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[NG13 8ZW]
Has 20 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:
ADSLx (Best): Up to 1.0 (downstream rate) -- (upsrteam rate) 0.8 to 2.5 (downstream range)

[NG13 8ZX]
Has 31 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

[NG13 8ZY]
Has 36 result(s) connected to Cabinet 4 with ADSLx with approximate speeds around the following:

Please note that these speeds are using BT's DSL Checker and uses the lowest and highest values for that postcode and cabinet.
Had at least 1 issue retrieving information from the BT DSL Checker.
Seems the postcodes that are connected to PCP Cabinet 4 are possibly down for FTTP.

As for tracking down PCP Cabinet 4, I searched for a couple of hours but just couldn't find it, but going by the speeds for the above postcodes and where the exchange is I am guessing the PCP Cabinet 4 is located in the Secure Area, sadly Google cant get access to that location, I did locate PCP Cabinet 602 which looks kind of new.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Sun 01-Mar-15 12:52:06
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Wow, thanks for that. I spent quite a while on Street view with no success either looking for cab 4. He'll be pleased to hear FTTP is planned. Shame the choice of ISPs is still so poor though.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sun 01-Mar-15 14:01:28
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fibreplease:
Wow, thanks for that. I spent quite a while on Street view with no success either looking for cab 4. He'll be pleased to hear FTTP is planned. Shame the choice of ISPs is still so poor though.
I suspect the reason those postcodes getting FTTP could be due to the PCP Cabinet being located in the secure area (that's if its in that area) it could be hidden in a bush some place and I have missed it.
But if it is located in that area then it may become an issue if roads need to be dug up in that area, so "may" be a lot easier to just do FTTP rather than to keep requesting access to that area over the period of installing a Fibre Cabinet next to the PCP Cabinet.

As for the choice of ISP, well I think any ISP would be fine, granted you may not get the full up to 330Mbps but you should be able to choose FTTC speeds and pay for that speed etc so I have read in other posts.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Mar-15 14:25:35
Print Post

Or it is a cabinet built since the Streetview pictures were taken

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Sun 01-Mar-15 14:36:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Or it is a cabinet built since the Streetview pictures were taken
Yeah, could be that, but PCP Cabinet 602 seems newer, however Google Maps dates keep changing all over the place and are a couple of years old.
But like I said going by the postcodes with the fastest speeds (also located in secure area) and the route it "could" take to the exchange tally up by having the PCP Cabinet 4 in that secure area.

But the end of the day I could be way off tongue

Paul
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Mar-15 14:47:42
Print Post

I can't see anything suggesting FTTP. Also I can't see anything suggesting the location of cabinet 4.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User PaulKirby
(committed) Mon 02-Mar-15 00:23:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sent you a PM, didn't want to keep posting a link to that site.

Paul
Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Mon 02-Mar-15 14:31:48
Print Post

Looking at the Nottinghamshire BDUK site, it would appear that the area around Newton is covered by phase 5 of this scheme. This is due for network build from July 2015 to December 2015.
Standard User rburton74uk
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-15 17:22:41
Print Post

Hi. I also live at Newton.

Google streetview is way out of date for this area, and maps is not correct either. The existing view of the gates and RAF check-point at the end of Wellington avenue has been wrong for over 3 years, now.

Cabinet 4 is sited about 30 yards beyond the checkpoint where the road bends to the left and becomes Chipmunk Way. It's my understanding that cabinet 4 serves all 184 properties on the new joint Bellway and David Wilson site where the old barracks blocks were.

I went through the pain of trying to get information out of BT between Dec 2013 through March 2014, and decided to pull my order as they couldn't guarantee I would be able to get more than 0.5 Mbps download at that time. Nothing has changed since and many residents have complained about really poor broadband and some of noisy, almost un-usable phone lines. There is still no definitive answer to when "superfast" fibre connections will be available in this new part of Newton. It appears this cabinet was put in AFTER the initial planning was done for the fibre roll-out, but was some how missed from the planning.

No Virgin available here either. It really is pathetic!

I've been using a Three mobile phone to provide a 3.5G HSPA+ cellular internet connection which has been far superior to anything BT were able to supply to any of my neighbours. Most others are now using I Need Broadband which I believe is some kind of wireless microwave solution hosted from Newark (?)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to