General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-15 11:20:00
Print Post

Fibre for gaming - DLM & latency

[link to this post]

Im going to be moving home soon so was trying to figure out the best connection I can get for gaming, im not bothered about speed.

Currently im on Zen 80/20 fibre and ping times are about 30 ms due to the DLM. Question is if I had the 40 meg product could latency be improved?

My reason for thinking this is that if the line is capped to 40 meg, there would be less errors and therefore the system would apply less interleaving??

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Mar-15 11:29:15
Print Post

Re: Fibre for gaming - DLM & latency

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Yes that makes sense. Also there are certain modems available that allow you to limit the sync speed yourself and raise the noise margin. It's worth checking what DLM profile the ISP has put you on too, as some let you change that. Different ISP's can have different backhaul arrangements from the exchange which can reduce pings times as well.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-Mar-15 12:23:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I think someone just did it with an unlocked HG612. I forget which thread. Was it by StephenTodd?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 60.0/17.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Mar-15 12:38:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think so.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Mar-15 12:50:24
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4385530-r...

Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-15 13:56:59
Print Post

Thanks for the feedback on this. I will have a good read through that other thread which you provided.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-15 14:24:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Copying from my post that BatBoy just helpfully referenced:
xdslcmd configure --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000 didn't seem to force a resync by itself.
But xdslcmd start --up --maxDataRate 50000 25000 75000 did the trick.

I can confirm that my line has remained very stable since I made the change on the unlocked HG612 to lower the sync speed. I have had one reconnection; not sure why that was. The router held its setting so I am still with the higher snr (14.8 down right now).

This isn't really proof of much as I had a pretty stable non-interleaved connection even at 70Mbps or so with around 6db SNR. (Helped when I had a new wire from the pole after local tree work killed the old wire. My stats graph has been really boring since!) My non-interleaved ping to bbc.co.uk is typically 11ms; 12ms right now.

Good luck.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 01-Mar-15 15:39:48
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Am I right in thinking you need the SP08 unlocked firmware for that command to work on the HG612?

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-15 17:06:26
Print Post

I'm not quite sure.
I unlocked the modem quite some time ago. That enabled telnet and the web interface. I had an automatic update since then; one side-effect of that was that it disabled the web interface. I don't need the web interface and all seems to work well so I haven't bothered to make any further updates.

I'm not sure how to get the firmware level from telnet. Some details below might give the game away ...

BusyBox v1.9.1 (2014-01-21 16:44:38 CST) built-in shell (ash)

# xdslcmd --version
xdslcmd version 1.0
DSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-Mar-15 18:15:23
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

That's the firmware. Then there is the software, in my case V100R001C01B030SP08

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to