General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Sun 01-Mar-15 18:53:49
Print Post

London's broadband 'among the slowest in Europe'

[link to this post]

A damning report today warned that London is being held back by cripplingly slow broadband speeds.

Britainís capital has slumped to 26th place in the league table of European capitals, left behind by rivals like Berlin, Dublin and Vienna.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/techandgadgets/london...
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Mon 02-Mar-15 17:03:05
Print Post

Re: London's broadband 'among the slowest in Europe'

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

I'm not surprised.

10mbps here in a flat less than five years old in zone 2.

I used to live in the countryside where I had 80/20.

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17
Standard User FredTheB
(regular) Mon 02-Mar-15 20:13:45
Print Post

Wow, that's kind of disappointing, being the fact that BT is one of the most well know telecom companies in Europe. Though it would be kind of hard work to upgrade every single cabinet in London to at least ADSL+2. It would cause so much hassle with roadworks and delays.

Places like Bulgaria and Romania, having probably one of the top speeds (as I heard from a friend, I'm not actually sure) , have smaller cities, so it wouldn't cause as much chaos

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Mar-15 00:58:45
Print Post

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

London also has a fair few EO lines and in the absence of any BDUK funding BT has no current plans to carry out the necessary network rearrangement so as to permit the installation of FTTC.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Mar-15 08:07:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by FredTheB:
Places like Bulgaria and Romania, having probably one of the top speeds (as I heard from a friend, I'm not actually sure) , have smaller cities, so it wouldn't cause as much chaos

Those two are heavy on fibre to buildings, the solution Hyperoptic use, not to cabinets.

We're a bit odd in making such heavy use of fibre to the cabinet in our most dense urban areas.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Mar-15 09:00:28
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/01/broadband-spe...

Some results based on decent geo mapping, rather than relying on where IP addresses are registered.

If people paid attention and it got some coverage I could also publish the London fibre coverage figures

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-Mar-15 09:39:41
Print Post

There is no work on the cabinets in order to upgrade lines to ADSL2+. (ADSL+2 doesn't exist).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 03-Mar-15 13:06:46
Print Post

I live in a small rural town (4500 residents) and although we got broadband late I have always had good speed because the distance to the exchange is small. I now have FTTP.

My sons left home 10 years ago and despite living in Central London and Birmingham, Cheltenham and Portsmouth they have usually had worse broadband speeds that I had at home. And thy are still behind me.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
  Print Thread

Jump to