General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 12:11:58
Print Post

Modem far from mstr skt (external wire), retain extensions?

[link to this post]

I have tentatively ordered a 40/20 FTTC service from Plusnet for an elderly relative.

However, I need to ensure the modem can be located in a cupboard one floor above the master socket, while retaining the existing extension wiring. This is a four storey house, with a fixed line phone socket on each floor.

At the moment, I see that the existing arrangements have been implemented largely by external wiring. The BT incoming line emerges from half way up the front outside wall, wraps around to the back of the house, and descends to the basement, where it comes through a hole in the wall to where the master socket is currently located. Extension wiring then comes back out of that hole, and up the back wall, entering each of the other three floors of the house.

The ground floor is where the modem would ideally be. However, although I have ordered the Data Extension Kit, I am reading that this cannot be run externally. Meanwhile, I don't think it feasible or desirable to make holes in the basement ceiling.

What are the options?

To me, it would seem easiest to relocate the master socket to the ground floor, which surely would be possible by diverting the existing external wiring so that it enters the ground floor to begin with.

But how do I ask for this to be implemented, while retaining the use of the extension sockets on the other floors? I don't mind paying for it, if necessary, whether through Plusnet or a third party. Will Plusnet organise this if I ask, and can I rely on getting a competent engineer through them?

Pipex > Freedom2Surf > ADSL24 (Entanet) > O2 > Plusnet (FTTC)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Mar-15 13:55:07
Print Post

Re: Modem far from mstr skt (external wire), retain extensi

[re: sallust] [link to this post]

Openreach engineers have van stock of suitable external cabling and can therefore run the data extension externally, so long as it has been ordered as you have done.

Whether the Kelly's or Quinn's subcontractors can or will do this I wouldn't be too sure about.

Who provides the line at the moment, and is that being transferred to Plusnet as well?
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 02-Mar-15 13:55:53)

Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 15:47:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks! At the moment it is a BT line, and yes I have arranged for this to transfer to Plusnet as part of the order.

Good to know that the Data Extension Kit can in principle be run externally if there is suitable kit.

Can I just order some Cat 5E external grade cable and get the engineer to use that? I have read somewhere about problems terminating solid core cable? Does mutli-core vs. solid core come into it at all?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 02-Mar-15 17:34:38
Print Post

Pass, sorry.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 18:10:39
Print Post

I have read somewhere about problems terminating solid core cable?

Other way round, it's multicore cable that makes for bum IDC terminations.

On the subject of your original query. When you order from Plusnet make sure they order the HWS (home wiring solution) from Openreach also. Is the downstairs NTE used at all at the moment ? If not the installer could just bypass it to make the socket on the next floor the NTE.

Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 18:12:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Pass, sorry.

Oh no! You know everything!

Let me put it slightly differently. Do you know what cable I could order that would work and be acceptable to the engineer?

What do I do if someone turns up and refuses to do what I want? Can I say: "I ordered the Data Extension Kit, but the engineer refused to put the modem within 30 metres of the master socket so I am cancelling."

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Mar-15 18:18:36
Print Post

You had hit the proverbial on the head earlier ......
and can I rely on getting a competent engineer through them?

There in lies the crux of the issue. Many FTTC installs are done on Openreach's behalf by Kellys or MJ Quinns, the second anything looks tricky or complex, they try to wriggle out of it.

Cross your fingers you get an Openreach bod.

Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 20:46:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
You had hit the proverbial on the head earlier ......
and can I rely on getting a competent engineer through them?

There in lies the crux of the issue. Many FTTC installs are done on Openreach's behalf by Kellys or MJ Quinns, the second anything looks tricky or complex, they try to wriggle out of it.

Cross your fingers you get an Openreach bod.

Are there any good contractors who frequent the forums and who will operate in the Central/West London area?

My concern is if I pay someone to put in the extension, will Openreach agree to use that wiring?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 02-Mar-15 21:24:51
Print Post

edited

Edited by MHC (Mon 02-Mar-15 21:51:51)

Standard User sallust
(learned) Mon 02-Mar-15 21:29:43
Print Post

Re: Modem far from mstr skt (external wire), retain extensi *DELETED*

[re: MHC] [link to this post]