General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hedgymon
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-15 17:18:25
Print Post

Fibre run distances

[link to this post]

So ... a query. I'm on the Boxford exchange in Suffolk (though a few miles from Boxford itself). BT are out in force in our area putting in cabling and, if I enter my postcode on the Better Broadband for Suffolk site, it tells me that I will get fast broadband sometime between now and September 2015. All good so far.

However, I'm in an area that is fairly rural and sparsely populated. Most of the houses within a few miles of mine have had the yellow and black fibre tubing with the splitter things on top (not sure of the technical term!) put on telegraph poles fairly close to their houses, often one per house and not more than about 20m to 30m away. From reading these posts I assume that this means that our area will be getting FTTP. The closest splitter to our house is about 5 poles from us and is about 200m away.

My query is - fibre be run 200m along the telegraph poles from the splitter to the house ? The more depressing option being that this splitter has nothing to do with us. Any info would be gratefully received

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Mar-15 18:05:05
Print Post

Re: Fibre run distances

[re: Hedgymon] [link to this post]

If the splitter looks like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/news/6678-fibre... then it is a fibre manifold and is the last physical element before the fibre is run to a property.

Need a postcode for you and a property that has a manifold right outside to give any idea whether you are included or not. Fibre can run distances of 200m with no problems if they are happy to do that across a run of five poles. but tempted to say the cost of doing so (mainly labour) would be prohibitive and unlikely to happen if its just a single property.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Mar-15 18:46:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's just the same as spanning dropwire in all honesty, get a hoist out and it'll take no time at all.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Hedgymon
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-15 18:50:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi - many thanks for the quick response. Yes, the splitter looks like your photo, though a slightly slimmer model I think.

Postcode is CO65DE - it's actually 3 properties along the main road, though not sure if the others will take up broadband or not.
Standard User Jax2
(regular) Wed 04-Mar-15 20:08:59
Print Post

[re: Hedgymon] [link to this post]

I am in the same position as you, Boxford Suffolk fed off cabinet 1. Yes they are busy putting in infrastructure for FTTP. My run from the nearest manifold is about 200 yards too. Talking to the Openreach men putting up the manifolds they certainly see no problem with that distance.
The concern for me is that the existing copper line from that pole runs through quite a few trees so I am not too sure what happens about that but at best it will slow things up when I order FTTP while waiting for branches to be trimmed.
Incidentally I contacted the folks at Suffolk to ask when we are likely to see the service go live and for my post code they hope to see things go live during the second quarter of the year.
Standard User Hedgymon
(newbie) Wed 04-Mar-15 20:25:01
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

That's an encouraging response from BT. My copper too runs through a number of branches, tho' someone drove a JCB through it recently and BT seed to be able to replace it quite quickly.
  Print Thread

Jump to