General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bloodkil933
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 22:48:07
Print Post

Llanrwst Cabinet 1

[link to this post]

Our local exchange is due to be upgraded in around June time as was wondering if anyone was able to shed any light on what speeds we should be able to get.

We are around ~2.5km from the exchange and about 250-300m away from our cabinet.

Thanks!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Mar-15 15:27:13
Print Post

Re: Llanrwst Cabinet 1

[re: bloodkil933] [link to this post]

If your cab is upgraded, and the distance you quote is the distance that the line follows, then you're likely to be able to get around 80/20 speeds. It'll depend on the thickness of the copper as much as the distance, which is harder to find out.

At 350-400m, on 0.5mm copper, I could just get speeds of 80/20. In early days, I could have achieved much more than this, perhaps over 90Mbps, but as take-up increased, the attainable speeds are known to degrade through crosstalk - after 2 years we got 78/20.

Whatever you do get initially, expect that it can and will drop as take-up increases.
Standard User bloodkil933
(newbie) Sat 07-Mar-15 17:02:40
Print Post

Re: Llanrwst Cabinet 1

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Our cab has fairly low utilisation according the the BT engineers who came round recently since it is very rural, I also doubt takeup is very high as well. Also, on viewing i'd say ours line is also that thickness.

Although BT have been out a lot recently because they say the copper between the Cab and Exchange is badly degraded. But I guess they're reluctant to do anything because we're getting fiber anywhere between now and June.

Edited by bloodkil933 (Sat 07-Mar-15 17:05:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to