General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JayCee9
(newbie) Fri 06-Mar-15 20:54:18
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 Download speed fault.

[link to this post]

Having had BT Infinity 2 FTTC for approx 1 year starting with a HH3 & the Openreach white modem I signed up for a further 18 months last April & was sent the HH5 which I've been happily using until around a couple of months ago when it started acting up with intermittent wi-fi disappearing & no net access I bit the bullet & bought an Asus DSL-AC68U VDSL Modem/Router last week.
When I first signed up to Infinity 2 I was told my line could only support around 58Mbps but I never achieved anything like that in the first week or two and it settled around 35-38Mbps...coming from around 3-4Mbps on O2 ADSL I was quite happy and just accepted this.

I usually got around 35-38Mbps downstream and 18Mbps upstream with the HH5 so I was a little miffed when I setup the Asus and was only getting around 16-18Mbps down and (surprisingly) 14-15Mbps up...usually I found the upstream was around half the downstream figure.
I had updated the Asus firmware as soon as I installed it.
The first time I ran the quick setup it correctly detected BT Infinity as my provider but on subsequent reboots and re-installations it was incorrectly detecting "Aquiss" whoever they are.

Anyway, last night I decided to replace the Asus with my old HH5 but I'm still getting the same 16up/15 down speeds so I phoned BT today & logged a fault...the operator (in Swansea) ran a few tests and agreed there is a fault & has passed it to Openreach to investigate & I've had an email stating they aim to have it resolved by next Wed at 5pm.
The DSL log file for the Asus shows...

Data rate down 17999kbps
Data rate up 17000kbps
and
Max rate down 58244kbps
Max rate up 18902kbps

So, can anyone tell me, the figure of 58244kbps Data rate down...is that the rate that my line can support...and more importantly should I be getting that in practise?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 06-Mar-15 22:17:18
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 Download speed fault.

[re: JayCee9] [link to this post]

Yes, you should be getting around 58Mbps - or could.

I wonder if the 35-38 you were seeing was because the line was capped at 40Mbps - which gives a max throughput of 38. Certainly 16-18 is way off. See what happens when it is fixed.#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Mar-15 07:31:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by JayCee9:
subsequent reboots and re-installations it was incorrectly detecting "Aquiss" whoever they are.

That will be us and we are fairly well known. However, as we don't supply Asus hardware to our customers and have no commercial arrangement with them either, I'm interested to know how we have appeared on your hardware.

I know recently we have had a few customers buy Asus that simply would not worked, replaced with another Asus that did. I would hate to think whoever you got the router from as sent you one of the returned units.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Limited
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Mar-15 03:49:15
Print Post

Data rate down 17999kbps
Data rate up 17000kbps
and
Max rate down 58244kbps
Max rate up 18902kbps

So, can anyone tell me, the figure of 58244kbps Data rate down...is that the rate that my line can support...and more importantly should I be getting that in practise?

That attainable figure could be right, but it could be an overestimate too. Some modems overestimate when running after DLM has intervened - and DLM has certainly intervened on your line.

You seem to have picked the two routers that have most stability issues...
Standard User JayCee9
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 10:44:14
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aquiss:
subsequent reboots and re-installations it was incorrectly detecting "Aquiss" whoever they are.

That will be us and we are fairly well known. However, as we don't supply Asus hardware to our customers and have no commercial arrangement with them either, I'm interested to know how we have appeared on your hardware.

I know recently we have had a few customers buy Asus that simply would not worked, replaced with another Asus that did. I would hate to think whoever you got the router from as sent you one of the returned units.

The router was brand new from Currys/PC World with everything in the box sealed as supplied from the manufacturers so I can assure you it's not a returned unit.
During "quicksetup" of the DSL-AC68U modem/router it tries to auto-detect your broadband provider and the 1st attempt did detect...correctly, BT, however after subsequent attempts at setting it up (after various reboots etc trying to resolve the problem of slow downstream speed) the "quicksetup" did not auto-detect BT but came up with "Aquiss" after the country of use (UK) is picked from a drop-down list.
Hope this answers your question.

Edited by JayCee9 (Sun 08-Mar-15 10:45:50)

Standard User JayCee9
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 14:23:03
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
That attainable figure could be right, but it could be an overestimate too. Some modems overestimate when running after DLM has intervened - and DLM has certainly intervened on your line.

You seem to have picked the two routers that have most stability issues...

I picked the DSL-AC68U because I wanted to have a one box solution (same as the HH5) and after reading mostly favourable reviews of it.
My HH5 had been cutting out intermittently with the Wi-Fi disappearing and I presumed it was a hardware fault so rather than get a replacement from BT I thought I'd buy something better, more configureable and I'd read the Asus was kind of future-proofed.

Is it possible the Asus has caused the speed fault?...I was unplugging/plugging back in the DSL line from the BT Faceplate quite a few times.
Can it have caused the DLM to have kicked in?
And if it did would DLM on it's own almost halve the normally attained speed?

In the days before I replaced the HH5 I hadn't checked my broadband speed, I only replaced it due to the Wi-Fi cutting out and I don't know if the speed was down at that point.

Edited by JayCee9 (Sun 08-Mar-15 14:49:42)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Mar-15 17:11:16
Print Post

The router was brand new from Currys/PC World
Nevertheless it could still be a unit returned by a previous purchaser who happened to use Aquiss as their ISP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Mar-15 17:14:10
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Most likely is config is same and as a is before b it picked that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JayCee9
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 17:24:07
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
The router was brand new from Currys/PC World
Nevertheless it could still be a unit returned by a previous purchaser who happened to use Aquiss as their ISP.

Nope. It was brand new shrink wrapped. Having been in the Tv repair business for more than 40 yrs I have opened hundreds of boxes of equipment of all kinds and I know when a box has been opened or the goods inside have been used before.
I make it a rule when buying anything to check this and I would refuse an item at the point of sale if I suspected it wasn't new.
I collected it myself in-store.

Edited by JayCee9 (Sun 08-Mar-15 17:25:14)

Standard User JayCee9
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 17:26:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most likely is config is same and as a is before b it picked that

Exactly my thoughts too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to